Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I decided to go downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6. While holding the shift key, I pressed 'Check for updates' on iTunes and it let me select the file. I selected the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW. After updating it was stuck in an recovery loop, no matter when I reset, it returns back to this mode. Back then, I used Redsn0w to apply a recovery fix to this iPod and usually it works. But now, it doesn't! It still goes back to recovery mode. At this point, all I want to do is backup my files and restore. How do I do that?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Help! iPod Touch 5G stuck in recovery mode

I decided to go downgrade from iOS 7 to iOS 6. While holding the shift key, I pressed 'Check for updates' on iTunes and it let me select the file. I selected the iOS 6.1.3 IPSW. After updating it was stuck in an recovery loop, no matter when I reset, it returns back to this mode. Back then, I used Redsn0w to apply a recovery fix to this iPod and usually it works. But now, it doesn't! It still goes back to recovery mode. At this point, all I want to do is backup my files and restore. How do I do that?

I did the same exact thing and scenario. You must DFU restore.
I hope you have stuff backed up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
I did the same exact thing and scenario. You must DFU restore.
I hope you have stuff backed up.

Well, I did have an older backup but iTunes did the worst thing that could happen, HE BACKED UP AN EMPTY IPOD OVER AN FULL IPOD. Luckily, I did an separate backup of all my camera pictures.

But I don't understand WHY couldn't I directly downgrade to iOS 6.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Well, I did have an older backup but iTunes did the worst thing that could happen, HE BACKED UP AN EMPTY IPOD OVER AN FULL IPOD. Luckily, I did an separate backup of all my camera pictures.

But I don't understand WHY couldn't I directly downgrade to iOS 6.

IOS 7 backups/info are not compatible with iOS 6 info.

Macknna

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
Just now I got error while updating my iPod touch to iOS 7, and it stucks in the DFU mode. But I found the solution after I installed TinyUmbrella.

1. Disconnect your touch from iTunes
2. Turn Off your ipod
3. Install TinyUmbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/)
4. Connect your phone again
5. Click "Exit Recovery" at the top right of TinyUmbrella apps.
6. Done.

Your ipod touch will restart then it returns to normal mode again. Hope it helps!

garirry

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Just now I got error while updating my iPod touch to iOS 7, and it stucks in the DFU mode. But I found the solution after I installed TinyUmbrella.

1. Disconnect your touch from iTunes
2. Turn Off your ipod
3. Install TinyUmbrella (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/)
4. Connect your phone again
5. Click "Exit Recovery" at the top right of TinyUmbrella apps.
6. Done.

Your ipod touch will restart then it returns to normal mode again. Hope it helps!

Thanks, but do you realize that my topic is nearly one year old?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.