Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1
missouri101
macrumors newbie

Please help me track my stolen macbook with an IP address!!

Hey guys, i'll try and be brief

so, someone broke into my girlfriends car, and stole my backpack which contained my 2008 Macbook. This happened a few days ago, and obviously I was pretty devastated.

However, after some quick googling I found out that I can actually track my Macbooks IP address through dropbox. I've been checking this non stop the last few days, and finally today I found that my Macbook had been accessed a few times today at a random IP.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me locate my macbook, and offer me any other tips for tracking it down. (it can be fun playing detective!). I was a member of this site a few years ago, and was blown away by the kindness offered by members, and so felt compelled to reregister again to seek all your help

thanks in advance, the IP is 64.134.173.239 (I will post again if this changes)
missouri101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:41 AM   #2
CASLondon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri101 View Post
Hey guys, i'll try and be brief

so, someone broke into my girlfriends car, and stole my backpack which contained my 2008 Macbook. This happened a few days ago, and obviously I was pretty devastated.

However, after some quick googling I found out that I can actually track my Macbooks IP address through dropbox. I've been checking this non stop the last few days, and finally today I found that my Macbook had been accessed a few times today at a random IP.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me locate my macbook, and offer me any other tips for tracking it down. (it can be fun playing detective!). I was a member of this site a few years ago, and was blown away by the kindness offered by members, and so felt compelled to reregister again to seek all your help

thanks in advance, the IP is 64.134.173.239 (I will post again if this changes)
What about approaching the police with this? I'm assuming they can backtrace an ip in a criminal case, assuming this isn't a Starbucks you might be business.
CASLondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:18 AM   #3
quasinormal
Banned

According to Who Is in Network Utility (utilities folder) the address belongs to

Wayport Inc
4509 Freidrich Lane
Building III
Site 300
Austin, Texas, 78744

http://whois.arin.net/rest/nets;q=64...se&ext=netref2

Sorry, but it appears Wayport is a public wifi access point provider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayport,_Inc.

Last edited by quasinormal; Oct 22, 2012 at 05:27 AM.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
CASLondon
macrumors 6502

Keep tracking it, you might get a break on a non-public ip address and then get the cops involved with the ip owner
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:52 PM   #5
missouri101
macrumors newbie

thanks for the help, I am continuing to track it. The thief is still continuing to use it at the previously state public ip address, but hopefully he will move to a personal ip soon. I will keep you updated
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
CASLondon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri101 View Post
thanks for the help, I am continuing to track it. The thief is still continuing to use it at the previously state public ip address, but hopefully he will move to a personal ip soon. I will keep you updated

If he's using the same spot regularly, maybe there's someone to talk to about refining finding him on that network? THe ip should resolve to a physical location at least
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:15 AM   #7
missouri101
macrumors newbie

new ip

Hey guys, his IP address has finally changed,

it is now 174.125.81.196

this ip actually shows him being in the city i'm in - Columbia, Missouri. So i'm hoping this could be a bit of a breakthrough. Does anyone know how well I can track him using this? And would this new information be important enough to report to the police? I do already have a police case open....

thanks again

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help