Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tunemaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Hello -

Today I noticed that there is something inside the front camera on my iPhone 4. It does not affect the usage and the camera seems to work fine, but it is annoying that something happened and I have no idea how. I have attached two pictures showing the camera...does anyone else have this issue? Do you think Apple would replace the phone under Applecare?

Thanks!
Tunemaster

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 180
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 152

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Are you using a screen protector? that might have caused this visual flaw.
If it's there and the camera isn't affected in any way, I don't think it's a problem at all.
If you want to use your warrenty I would take it back to apple & ask for a replacement to get a free new iPhone ( or refurb , but that's nearly the same )

Dave,

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Nope never seen that before. I had a couple 4 and 4S and never had anything like that on my phones. If it doesn't affect the camera at all just live with it.

Tunemaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Thanks everyone for the quick replies...I do use a screen protector; however, it doesn't cover the camera at all...to me, it looks like it is either moisture buildup or cracks...can the camera crack without the screen cracking?

Unknownbeing, did it eventually do anything to the front camera? Did you figure out what caused it? Just trying to get different opinions and to see if it is really something to worry about or not.

Thanks!
Tunemaster

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
same thing happened to an old blackberry phone i used to own. if i recall, there was a thin plastic piece that became dislodged and slid in front of the lens. its in the shape of the lens and surrounds it. if you take the phone apart, you can remove it i think.

Tunemaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Applecare

Hello everyone -

Thanks for the replies...it is under Applecare under March of next year; however, since it doesn't actually affect the camera usage, do you think Apple would replace it? I can not tell if I cracked the glass or not, I would assume if it was a crack it wouldn't look the way it does.

Unknownbeing, what eventually happened with you iPod Touch? Did the problem go away or just stay?

I am worried that it may get worse to the point where the camera will not work at all...like I said, it is fine for now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Tunemaster

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I've seen pictures on here that people have posted of their rear-facing camera with the same issue. Personally, I would take it back and get a new one under warranty. It's not going to "fix itself" so the only thing that can happen is that it will stay the same or it will get worse. I would rather replace it now than wait until the warranty is up for it to impact the functionality and you can't replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.