Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
If I missed this already on here, I apologize.

Pricing for unlimited LTE is 70$ / Month.

Pricing for unlimited 4G is 70$ / Month.

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/01/08/...-data-hd-voice-and-new-galaxy-s-iii-with-lte/

A little higher than I was anticipating, but hopefully enough to keep them afloat.

It will be interesting to see how this plan does considering that you will also need an unsubsidized phone. It is also most likely the plan which will be promoted along with the new iPhone I would expect.

Karl P

Edit: I was (correctly) corrected below about this being for 4G not LTE.

Last edited:

Tallguy93

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
How is that high? It is a lot cheaper than all of the other carriers considering that everything is unlimited. Aaaand tmobile is going to support HD voice on the iphone 5.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Who cares. Paying that much for service that will be barely available is a joke.

T-Mobile LTE will turn out to be just like their 3G. Couple years late to the game and have basically no coverage, whereas AT&T/VZW folks have LTE everywhere. The fact that ATT/vzw have more LTE than they do 3G around here is pathetic.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Except that pricing has nothing to do with LTE at all. That pricing is for their Monthly4G no annual contract plan and has absolutely nothing to do with LTE. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I run TmoNews.com and I'm pretty up to speed with T-Mobile news and they specifically said they weren't talking about LTE plans yesterday.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
How is that high? It is a lot cheaper than all of the other carriers considering that everything is unlimited. Aaaand tmobile is going to support HD voice on the iphone 5.

Considering (in the context of this forum) that we are going to be buying 700$+ phones to use with this 70$(+taxes) /Mo service, it certainly isn't a truly great price.

Especially when you consider the current state of their network(s) and backhaul.

Karl P

----------

Except that pricing has nothing to do with LTE at all. That pricing is for their Monthly4G no annual contract plan and has absolutely nothing to do with LTE. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I run TmoNews.com and I'm pretty up to speed with T-Mobile news and they specifically said they weren't talking about LTE plans yesterday.

Absolutely Correct. Thanks for the correction.

I would rant about how 4G has ended up being separate from LTE but that bridge was burned years ago.

Karl P

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Who cares. Paying that much for service that will be barely available is a joke.

T-Mobile LTE will turn out to be just like their 3G. Couple years late to the game and have basically no coverage, whereas AT&T/VZW folks have LTE everywhere. The fact that ATT/vzw have more LTE than they do 3G around here is pathetic.

T-Mobile is Merging with MetroPCS , and Believe it or not MetroPCS has 4G service in some strong Market Areas , I bet they will use their network while they catch up, the merger happened for a reason

Just speculating

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
T-Mobile is Merging with MetroPCS , and Believe it or not MetroPCS has 4G service in some strong Market Areas , I bet they will use their network while they catch up, the merger happened for a reason

Again, only in metro areas. MetroPCS is a joke here in Boston. They only cater to a certain demographic and the network is complete ****. My friend had an LTE Android phone with them. It never went over 5 mbps.

Them buying MetroPCS only makes their network worse. It's that terrible.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I don't think it's ridiculous.

Both Verizon and AT&T for a few hundred minutes, unlimited texting and, 2 or 3Gb LTE Data respectively runs: $90-100 minimum.

Seeing as data is all that matters nowadays, giving you UNLIMITED data for at least $20-30 less a month is a steal.

The true test will be what T-mobile's coverage is like. Their speed is undoubtedly better than Sprint's, and they are rolling out LTE starting in 2013.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I don't think it's ridiculous.

Both Verizon and AT&T for a few hundred minutes, unlimited texting and, 2 or 3Gb LTE Data respectively runs: $90-100 minimum.

Seeing as data is all that matters nowadays, giving you UNLIMITED data for at least $20-30 less a month is a steal.

The true test will be what T-mobile's coverage is like. Their speed is undoubtedly better than Sprint's, and they are rolling out LTE starting in 2013.

I don't believe it's ridiculous either, but seeing as these prices appear to be unsubsidized and that the network is quite week compared to their rivals, it is telling that this is as hard as they could push.

This is even more true now that we understand that this isn't LTE pricing, and thus it is likely that LTE will be higher yet.

Karl P

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'd just prefer the faster HSPA from tmobile over LTE. I'll take the better battery life. HSPA with tmobile is already double that of att (42 capable) averaging like 20~ is decent :D

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado

I have a question for you. Denver was announced yesterday as a refarmed area. Does that mean its completed, or just past a certain point. The reason I ask is that I've been experiencing spots of 3G coverage, but mainly still edge. I'm hoping they still are improving the coverage, because if this is it, the iphone won't be worth anything on their network no matter how cheap. I'm willing to stick it out ambit in hopes that within a few months the coverage will fill. But in worried since I read that other cities that were announced months ago still have significant holes.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I don't believe it's ridiculous either, but seeing as these prices appear to be unsubsidized and that the network is quite week compared to their rivals, it is telling that this is as hard as they could push.

This is even more true now that we understand that this isn't LTE pricing, and thus it is likely that LTE will be higher yet.

Karl P

That is true.

But, to be honest, I would take unlimited superfast 4G over 2-3Gb of LTE.

I really can barely use my LTE data now because I'm constantly worried about watching one too many youtube clips or streaming pandora for a song too long. It's great for reloading pages with low latency, but I definitely burn through my data faster than I did on 3G/4G.

T-mobile's 4G is faster than any other carrier, LTE excluded. For less money per month, I would definitely accept slower than LTE, but still very fast, data speeds if that meant no data cap!

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
They charge $60 for 2GB and now unlimited for $70 , I wonder if they will keep the $60 Plan or bump the 50 to 1GB or 2GB data

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Considering (in the context of this forum) that we are going to be buying 700$+ phones to use with this 70$(+taxes) /Mo service, it certainly isn't a truly great price.

Except that if you keep your phone for two years its still going to be a significant savings over high minute, unlimited text, high data limit plans that are running around 120+ bucks. Sure if you go to the minimum data plans of 1-2gb you can get em for like 100 bucks - making the savings minimal, but if you're ok with that amount of data, then you wouldn't need to buy the unlimited tmobile plan.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
There won't be any LTE on the Monthly 4G prepaid no contract plans. It will just be unlimited HSPA+42 data. Those who want LTE access will likely need to sign a contract and get on the Value plan. It's about the same price for unlimited at $69.99 per month (if you already have your own phone), $89.99 per month (if you add in the $20 per month device charge for financing one through T-Mobile).

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Initially t-Mobile had a target of some 80% of towers being refarmed before announcing that the city is refarmed. Anecdotal reports on tmonews and t-mobile forums indicate it could be as less as 20%. They also do not clarify what a "city" is. Some speculate it means FCC urban wireless market's, others say it is MSA. T-mobile now claims that their 3G now cover 120 million pops! Why are you hiding your coverage maps CTO Neville Ray? If they stop lying they would put their coverage maps. In short there is no way of knowing if Denver is ready for your needs or not.

I have a question for you. Denver was announced yesterday as a refarmed area. Does that mean its completed, or just past a certain point. The reason I ask is that I've been experiencing spots of 3G coverage, but mainly still edge. I'm hoping they still are improving the coverage, because if this is it, the iphone won't be worth anything on their network no matter how cheap. I'm willing to stick it out ambit in hopes that within a few months the coverage will fill. But in worried since I read that other cities that were announced months ago still have significant holes.

smitty303

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2012
Colorado
Initially t-Mobile had a target of some 80% of towers being refarmed before announcing that the city is refarmed. Anecdotal reports on tmonews and t-mobile forums indicate it could be as less as 20%. They also do not clarify what a "city" is. Some speculate it means FCC urban wireless market's, others say it is MSA. T-mobile now claims that their 3G now cover 120 million pops! Why are you hiding your coverage maps CTO Neville Ray? If they stop lying they would put their coverage maps. In short there is no way of knowing if Denver is ready for your needs or not.

Sounds interesting. I've learned a tip for finding 3G coverage by toggling the enable 3G option in settings. There is more 3G coverage thatim getting on a normal basis, due to the algorithm built into the iPhones which first searches for 3G service, and will use it until it drops too low then it switches to edge and stays there even if 3G crops up again. Thus the need to toggle 3G enable in settings to kick off the process of forcing the software to search for 3G again. Regardless, most people won't do this and it is a pain, so until enough towers are refarmed the use of iPhones on tmobile is experimental for us who care to experiment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.