Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Sunset

Sunset over Afghanistan looking over the Afghan - Pakistan Border. You can also see abit of Earth curvature!
Almost satisfies the "window" request, but I do like the light.
Would have been so much better from the cockpit!! Ohh well.....:eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
Window Light by MCH-1138, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 • 35mm f/1.8G • ISO 800 • 1/100 sec • f/1.8

Attachments

• Window Light.jpg
    Window Light.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Neur0genesis

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
A friends dog running into the Christmas (eve eve) morning sunshine as it streams through the sliding glass door.

Attachments

• DSC01245.jpg
    DSC01245.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 91

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Right, the contest is now closed. I have a busy weekend this next two days but I should hopefully try to have the results up later today or tomorrow!

Thanks for all the great submissions.

EDIT: Sorry guys, I've had several hundred photos to go through this weekend and I am clonked out. I will do the judging in the morning (UK time) so hopefully you should all have the results Monday AM.

Last edited:

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Here is my entry. This was taken a while back but it one of my favs. I think it fits the theme.

DSC_2874 by dspector32, on Flickr

Great shot. This is very on theme as I was looking for interesting ways to work with the light around you. I like the business of the shot and there is a good centre focus. That being said it would have been really nice if the far window was framed in the centre pain of the close window. I don't know if that would have been possible but that would have really made it for me!

Plitvice National Park in Croatia.

8414389778_5e3df09c29_o.jpg

Very nice, I like the sun clearly visible in the spray. The few branches on the left are a little distracting as is the fallen trunk and grasses near the centre but I don't suggest you attempt to move them in the future! A nice capture.

Nice shot. I like the flaring as it doesn't quite encroach on to the subject of the shot. I would say the flower is a little over exposed as there is detail lost in the top three leaves. I might have tried to get the flower on the crossing point of the top left lines when using the rule of thirds.

'Anyone can live sweetly, patiently, lovingly, purely, till the sun goes down.' by - PhotoSmith -, on Flickr

1D Mark III • ISO 400 • EF 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2.8

Made during nautical twilight.

Please note that this photostream does contain artistic nudity (photos containing nudity are not visible unless you are logged-into flickr and have your safety filters set to 'moderate' or 'restricted').

Very nice shot. The small things that are off for me is the small grass that is in front of her face by her chin and the fact that her hair finishes almost at the same level as the tree line. I really this is utterly subjective but I feel the shots is maybe 1/3 or 1/2 a stop too dark for me. Apart from that I think it's great and I really like the mix of light and dark on her skin.

Canyon%2520Film%2520Shoot-67220027.jpg

I was out hiking and the light was wonderfully golden. Thankfully I had my AE-1 with me that day, loaded with some ISO100 Velvia slide film that soaked it all up.

These sorts of colours are the reason that there is still a film camera in my camera bag. Admittedly I've never shot Velvia but the new Portra 400 works wonders on skin tones. For this shot it might have been nice to have a vanishing point with the fence instead of it trailing off frame. Can't fault the exposure at all and I think it's a lovely focus point. Was this with a 50mm or a tad wider?

Abandoned 1960s era school house. Needless to say, no electricity...

Dark Side by pmxperience, on Flickr

Nice location and a good use of the light. First thing that hit me is that he is centred in the location but not quite centred in the frame? I would have also maybe turned him a little to camera left to expose a bit more of the left side of his face. The other option would have been to fill it in either by shooting closer to a wall (see the big highlights bouncing off on the right of the picture) or with a reflector. I like the pose but I'm not sure what height you were shooting from (Tripod)? Feels a bit like we are looking up at him.

Nice capture and solid composition. I struggle a little to make up what is on the nearside of the flower, I assume it's the remnants of some insect or something similar. I did notice a little yellow fringing on the stem which was a little unnatural. I would have maybe tried altering my position slightly so that the head remains in the same place but the stem intersects the bottom corner of the frame.

Shot with a Pinhole camera using expired, ISO 1500, Sepia Polaroid film. Approximately 45 - 55 second exposure using only available/natural light (and a very patient model!) No photoshopping involved, this is exactly how the film was scanned (using a very cheap scanner unfortunately.)

4713905056_170a6338b8_z.jpg

Lovely shot. Almost a ghostly like feeling to it. Surprised the model is that sharp with a 45 secs exposure! I am a sucker for the highlight rolloff of film so I really do like this shot! I think I also like the fact that it doesn't conform to the rule of thirds/golden ratio of composition but still works really nicely.

IMG_1697 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

Yet another sunset :)

Great shot and what an amazing sunset! You were really lucky to be there at the time when you can expose the sun (fortunately hidden behind clouds) but still have great detail in the darks of the sea. The silhouette of the bushes are a little distracting bottom left but I like them top right. I don't know if you got any more shots that made a bit more use of the small sailing boat camera left?

Hopefully this works. I've never posted by I always enjoy this thread. We went to Thailand last week and took a canoe tour through Phang Nga bay. Lucky for us we got to borrow my in-law's camera for the trip. This was at dusk.

Worked well! I like the randomness of the islands and the cool cast to the whole image. The central composition works well as the sea and sky aren't busy enough to really warrant a 1/3 2/3 split.

Taken a few months ago in very early morning light on a rather overcast day, with a car tyre (that we've used as planters and pathways) behind it as the black background.

Canon 1100D, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, ISO 400, 1/60 sec., f/5.6, 163mm.

IMG_4212.jpg

Good choice for the background. Really helps the flower pop. Being an overcast day I wonder if the camera got a little confused with the white balance or it's a creative decision? It feels very cool to me and the dandelions here in the UK are much whiter with their seeds. Centre framing works nicely and just the right amount of DOF for me.

This has a really surreal feeling for me. I like the depth of field that goes on forever and the haze is really great. The greens are nicely over powering without feeling too saturated and contrasty. Whilst it is a great shot if I had to ick out one thing I would say that initially I am confused as to where to look. The railings on the bridge, the hole itself and the rocks on the left all competed for my attention at the start.

Under the Bridge

This channel gradually dried up over the summer until the bed was a foot or so above the level of the lake in the background.

The big issue for me here is the lack of shadow detail. This might have been a phone or P&S shot but sometimes you can trick the auto exposure into compensating for the high contrast. Because of the solid black it seems that the shot is framed within a frame and whilst sometimes this works it's a bit too busy in this shot.

Great mood with this shot. I don't think I've ever seen an eagle close up before and this is a great way to experience it! It's a tad annoying that the light rolls off just on the interesting part of his face but either way it's nice that he is lit up from the background. Nice framing on the right with it looking across through the negative space.

Data: Canon EOS 450d, ISO 200, 41mm, 1/60.

A few shots up I was complaining about a lack of shadow detail whereas in this I think there is just a little too much. I feel this shot would have benefitted from being a complete silhouette as there are little bits of detail that can be picked out namely some things on the ground and the white of the cap. The sky is also a little over exposed for me and I think if you bring that exposure down you would find more saturation in that great sunset.

I saw this shot or one from the same set in POTD. Liked it then and still do now. The busy-ness really works and the eye right down the camera lens was a great capture. The eye is a clear point to where my attention is first drawn and all the plants seem to frame the bird really nicely.

1/400
f/4
70mm
iso100
7d

Firstly I would say that the watermark is too distracting. I understand that a lot of people feel the need to visibly copyright their photos but I think it can be done in a more subtle way. The shot is nicely exposed and I like the dark feel you have gone for however, it would have been nicer if the cat's face was a little more open towards the camera or a little more across so it was a complete profile image.

Nice exposure but I am unsure of the subject. The depth of field is shallow but there are quite a few flowers in the same focus plane namely the one cutting the frame on the left which I find a little distracting. IMO the flowers in focus are a little low in the frame as my eyes first start looking at the OOF ones in the background.

Sunset sky from the lowest elevation in North America (Death Valley California, Badwater Basin - 282 feet below sea level)

PHD_4176-XL.jpg

I like the way the sky and scenery come together to frame this shot in the centre. My one regret is that this was maybe taken a tad too late? The red tinge suggests that there was plenty more saturation and brightness a few minutes before and it has just passed. Of course this is all a "what if" scenario but it just feels a little dark for me.

I was surprised that there was enough light reflected off the lake for the silhouette.

Nice shot. I feel that whilst the silhouette is interesting the sky was maybe a little more interesting just off to the left? It almost feels like the moment was cut short! Apart from that the exposure is nice and its great that there is the lake there to reflect the light is if it had been all black it wouldn't have had the same interest.

I really wish the rigging wasn't blocking her face but I love the light.

p401409191-5.jpg

I agree about the rigging! Whilst I'm being overly picky it's also a little annoying that the centre rope is just cutting off the front of the sail of the far boat. In a perfect world it would have been placed nicely in between the sail and the rope! I agree that this light is beautiful and the rim light on the woman is really nice. I love the fact that although a lot of the shot is dark none of it bar maybe the horizon is pure black and there is detail everywhere you look. All in all a really nice shot.

Nice framing but I feel the flower is a little overexposed? It's nice that it's lit and the others in the background aren't. It provides a clear focus to the image.

Sometomes the sun must raise it's eyes to see the clouds.

Wow. That is a very dynamic scene and I'm sure if it had been the 21st Dec 2012 people would have been packing their bags knowing the end was near! When I viewed it full size I noticed that the horizon isn't straight which is something that could possibly be corrected. I also like the choice of portrait orientation which is something you don't often see in landscape pics.

photostream

Took this whilst on holiday in Morocco whilst walking through the souks of Marakech. Nikon D3000 18-200VR (no photoshop)

I like the texture in the shot. If I am being picky there is a small frame on the right just getting into the shot and I would have lifted the camera a little higher to be straight on with the frames. This would have meant the frame on the left would have lined up with the edge of the picture.

Also, not a critique of the photo but I don't really see the point of writing no photoshop. Altering pictures after they have been taken has been used in photography for hundreds of years and for me certainly it has been an important part of the picture taking process. I'm not entirely sure what I am meant to take from the fact that no photoshop was used on this image!

Sunset over Afghanistan looking over the Afghan - Pakistan Border. You can also see abit of Earth curvature!
Almost satisfies the "window" request, but I do like the light.
Would have been so much better from the cockpit!! Ohh well.....:eek:

Lovely shot but a pity about where you were sitting as the wing and engine are a little distracting! The horizon is also slopping up to the right but that blue at the top is just such a beautiful colour!

This is my submission. It is a sunrise shot of the Bay Bridge in San Francisco.

day 26/365 || jan 26 - Bay Bridge Sunrise by Bhupesh Patel Photography, on Flickr

Great shot. Totally subjective, but whilst I love the glass like water I don't really like it when there is motion blur in the clouds! I realise some people love it but it's just not for me! Apart from that the composition and framing are great although I might have come a smidge wider so as to get the bottom concrete foundation in completely. Really nice colours with the mixture of the blue and the red.

2013-01-23 at 16-48-52 by jeffstarkovich, on Flickr

A portrait captured outside in D.C. during the recent March for Life.

Great shot. I love the eyes and they are so clean and bright! This is a good example of a frame within a frame for me and there is also a lot of emotion in those eyes.

Window Light by MCH-1138, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 • 35mm f/1.8G • ISO 800 • 1/100 sec • f/1.8

Really like this shot. I have been experimenting a lot myself with window light as I love the subtle roll off effect it has from bright to dark. The colours work really well in this shot with the background all being dull and the pink cheeks and pink top really popping from the picture.

A friends dog running into the Christmas (eve eve) morning sunshine as it streams through the sliding glass door.

Nice shot. Growing up my family used to have a pharaoh hound and this seems to look very similar? Not a huge fan of the framing as I would have either liked to see both eyes or just one but not one starting to be cropped. The focus is also just a touch out falling literally a centimetre behind the eye but I can understand with animals getting this far is an achievement in itself! Great light and overall a really nice capture.

Right. It was a difficult one for me to pick the winner on this week and I'm sure we could have had several different iterations of winners but here is what I decided on.

3rd Place - fireman32

2nd Place - milbournosphere

1st Place - Keleko

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Thanks acearchie for the great job in judging and for another third place spot for me. Congrats to keleko for the win. It was a great photograph and well deserving of the win. I look forward to the next theme.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I like the way the sky and scenery come together to frame this shot in the centre. My one regret is that this was maybe taken a tad too late? The red tinge suggests that there was plenty more saturation and brightness a few minutes before and it has just passed. Of course this is all a "what if" scenario but it just feels a little dark for me.

"My one regret is that this was maybe taken a tad too late?"... Was my thought exactly after bolting from the car at the end of a long day of driving and hiking then running across the salt flats to get to a good vantage point…"missed it by that much"!

Congrats to keleko for the beautiful capture and win and thank you Archie for another round of thoughtful and valuable feedback.

Cheers!

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Awesome job again, acearchie! And thank you for liking my shot! Once again I was among some great company in the other submissions.

I'll come up with a new theme and post it sometime later today.

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
Really like this shot. I have been experimenting a lot myself with window light as I love the subtle roll off effect it has from bright to dark. The colours work really well in this shot with the background all being dull and the pink cheeks and pink top really popping from the picture.

Thanks for the comments, acearchie, and congratulations to Keleko. Great theme, and great photos this week!

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Very nice shot. The small things that are off for me is the small grass that is in front of her face by her chin and the fact that her hair finishes almost at the same level as the tree line. I really this is utterly subjective but I feel the shots is maybe 1/3 or 1/2 a stop too dark for me. Apart from that I think it's great and I really like the mix of light and dark on her skin.

You're spot on about the exposure -- when using natural light, I purposefully underexpose by 1/3 stop, when using evaluative metering, to prevent skin from being blown-out and to achieve the desired shadow density, since the 1D3 seems to think everything's a bit darker than it actually is.

In this case, the camera's metering was correct, with the dark foreground and dark sky, but bringing the exposure back up blew-out the sky and lost the effect gained by shooting in twilight. (It was a spur of the moment shot -- we'd finished for the day, and after the sun had set behind the treeline, I realized that there was still enough light to eke out something interesting in the tall grass.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
This was a fun contest! A ton of great photographs. Great work everyone, congrats to Keleko! Nice work! :cool:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Good choice for the background. Really helps the flower pop. Being an overcast day I wonder if the camera got a little confused with the white balance or it's a creative decision? It feels very cool to me and the dandelions here in the UK are much whiter with their seeds. Centre framing works nicely and just the right amount of DOF for me.

Congrat's to the winners, I'm glad I didn't have to judge it, too many too good to choose from for me! ;)

There was actually this mild blueish glow to it before capture, which drew my eye to it initially. It was a result of the early morning light and the heavy grey clouds. I've been out many other mornings and never had that again, yet.

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Thanks again for judging, AceArchie.

And thanks for the feedback on my shot. As usual, taking all the feedback and pointers I can get.

I'm fortunate enough to live where I have an endless supply of these pretty sunsets by the ocean. I try to get out there for pics when there's a bit more interest in the sky (clouds, and so on). The sailboat was a nice bonus on that evening. I have several shots of the sailboat. Unfortunately, it was moving in the wrong direction (off the frame), so my time with it was limited.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Congrat's to the winners, I'm glad I didn't have to judge it, too many too good to choose from for me! ;)

There was actually this mild blueish glow to it before capture, which drew my eye to it initially. It was a result of the early morning light and the heavy grey clouds. I've been out many other mornings and never had that again, yet.

On second glance I know this light completely. Saw the first sunset for a while on Saturday and noticed after the sun had dipped over the horizon how for a few minutes there was this great cool blue light that just wrapped around everything it hit!

It's one of those you can't believe it unless you see it as my initial reaction was to think the white balance was off.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
On second glance I know this light completely. Saw the first sunset for a while on Saturday and noticed after the sun had dipped over the horizon how for a few minutes there was this great cool blue light that just wrapped around everything it hit!

It's one of those you can't believe it unless you see it as my initial reaction was to think the white balance was off.

acearchie, I forgot to thank you for your gallant efforts of adjudicating again! Stellar performance by you! Thanks for your generosity of time and knowledge. :cool:

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the second place nod, sorry for the late reply as I was travelling this weekend. Yes, it was shot with my 50mm 1.8. An indispensable lens on any 35mm-format camera. Thanks for the composition suggestions; I actually didn't catch that the fence was cut off when I treated it to a quick crop...thankfully I have the full scan and the correction has been made. Good eye!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.