Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Hakujin
macrumors newbie

New UK iPad Mini cannot work on US cell network, says AT&T -- but T-Mobile OK!

I purchased a new 64GB WiFi+Cellular iPad Mini directly from Apple UK.

I am now spending a couple of weeks in the US. I go back and forth fairly frequently.

With my iPad (3rd Gen), also purchased from the UK Apple Store, I pop in an AT&T SIM, buy 3GB of data, and happily use the iPad on AT&T's cellular network while in the US.

I have just tried doing the same thing with my new iPad Mini. Stopped into an AT&T store, got a nano-SIM, popped it in, and -- "This device is not supported". I went online to ATT's SIM registration page, put in the IMEI number, and... based on the IMEI number of the iPad Mini, this device is not supported.

I spent some time talking with AT&T tech support, and they don't know what to do because their internal systems say the IMEI is not supported.

I have spoken with Apple tech support, and they don't believe there should be any problem, but it's up to the carriers to offer support...

Now, I don't expect LTE to work. I would, however, expect 3G & maybe 4G HSDPA/HSDPA+ to work. But maybe not. Is the cellular hardware in the new Mini so very very different?

I have just now had an AT&T supervisor tell me definitively he does not expect an iPad Mini bought in the UK to work on their network.

UPDATE Friday the 21st of December:
I walked into a T-Mobile shop and asked for a nano-SIM for the iPad Mini. The nice lady said, "Sure! You want pay-as-you-go?" We popped in a SIM, I subscribed to the (minimum) 5GB for $50, and it works! About 9Mbps down, 800kbps up on '3G'.

So an iPad Mini, purchased in the UK, is supported nicely by T-Mobile in the US.

But not AT&T.

Last edited by Hakujin; Dec 21, 2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: established T-Mobile support, AT&T still will not support
Hakujin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:38 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakujin View Post
...Now, I don't expect LTE to work.
I thought the Verizon Minis used the same LTE as the UK. If so, wouldn't that work?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:18 PM   #3
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

Probably a carrier limitation.
ThatsMeRight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2013, 02:55 PM   #4
snapper07
macrumors 6502

Thanks you're a life saver had been trying to get it to work on AT&T and found out it couldn't work had given up didn't think to try other networks. tThe guys at the apple store didn't tell me that other networks might work good old Mac forums to the rescue again!
snapper07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad