Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Time Surfer, an endless running game that debuted in January of this year, is available for free for the first time since it launched.

In Time Surfer, players take control of a surfer who races across the galaxy to escape from a destructive force, dodging spikes, pits, and other obstacles along the way. The game offers a number of costumes and power ups, along with pixel art and chiptunes.

In addition to going free, the game has also received a significant content update, adding new black hole-filled gaming mode called "The Kepler Run" and passive costume perks that provide character enhancements.
Warning - intergalactic update incoming!!!

- Say hello to... "The Kepler Run", a brand new mode! It's a surreal flight through a galaxy swamped with black holes: it's a taller zone and the ground slowly disappears over the course of your flight. Use those black holes to slingshot yourself but don't get caught in the middle of them!

- Costumes now have passive "perks". Every costume has a different effect, like improvements to speed, magnet or time bonuses, improved base speed, faster curve diving or constant time regeneration!

- Some pets and costumes can be combo'd for super ultimate power! Example: Bean + Axolotl = Ultra Speed Boost!

- New costumes! Meet Neon Surfer, Pirate Surfer and the formidable "Snailien".

- A new summary screen keeps you on up to date with your high score progress and rewards you with bonus cakes for collecting time gems. Delicious.
Our sister site TouchArcade reviewed the game when it was released, calling it "a glorious mess of bright colors, pixel art, and the most upbeat of chiptunes."
Take the calm simplicity of Tiny Wings, crank up the speed, stick it in space and add a dozen good ways to die.
Time Surfer is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free for a limited time. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Endless Runner 'Time Surfer' Free for a Limited Time

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's also worth noting that the Mac app equivalent is also on sale down to $1.99 in the Mac App Store.

But for me, the only way I'll shell out extra money for the Mac version is if they include iCloud support to sync with iOS. Until then I'll stick with the iOS version :)

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
It seems pretty obviously inspired by Tiny Wings but not a rip-off of Tiny Wings. Adding to game mechanics *can* change a game.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
Tiny Wings rip off?

Tiny Wings isn't an endless runner. Jetpack Joyride is, though. So maybe it's more like that?

ETA: Just looked at it; wow, it does look a bit like Tiny Wings there some screenshots.

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
The moral of tis story is never buy anything because you don't know when it will become free/updated/outmoded.

Or you could just buy stuff that you want/need when you want/need it and just accept that it may become free/updated/outmoded sometime in the future.

:rolleyes:

bitter truth:(

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Downloaded it. Nice game. Nothing like Jetpack Joyride. Very very similar to Tiny Wings. You could really call it Tiny Wings 2. Also has some elements from Solipskier (an older abstract ski-ing game on ios that had a lot of fans).

Deleted it after a few minutes - I find these types of games too annoying - just my taste. Don't like fiddling about trying to hit the down-curves.

Badland is similar and more my kind of thing - more forgiving, also more of a 'story' & 'progress' through a landscape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.