Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Hi folks!

I work in the TV/film world and a power-user CD/DVD burning application is a must for me. I've been using Toast for a while and recently reformatted my computer. Before reinstalling Toast, I figured I would take the chance to look for some alternatives.

Toast's feature set is hard to match, but it's always been really clunky for me. It crashes from time to time and is just overall sluggish.

Any good alternatives with similarly powerful features?

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Although I don't work in TV, I am at the stage where installing decent general DVD and CD burning software has raised its head. I have done a search but not really found anything that helps me to either download or purchase. Toast 11 seems a common one with mixed views, but is quite expensive.

Any recommendations please.?

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
2nd for Simply

I used toast for years, as far back as my os 8.6-9 days. I agree, great program but stoggie as all get out for an intuitive layout to me. Could not really get used to it. I don't recall when I first found Simply Burns, but for me (a pretty heavy user of .iso's, remasters, physical media archives etc) it's wonderful and the best part? It's free. So all and all it's pretty hard to beat that!

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19778/simplyburns

Defiantly take a look, let us know how it stacks up to you.

henryseiden

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
My 2¢

I used toast for years, as far back as my os 8.6-9 days. I agree, great program but stoggie as all get out for an intuitive layout to me. Could not really get used to it. I don't recall when I first found Simply Burns, but for me (a pretty heavy user of .iso's, remasters, physical media archives etc) it's wonderful and the best part? It's free. So all and all it's pretty hard to beat that!

Thanks for the tip, DrakkenWar. There is also the freeware "Burns", but your recommendation is higher rated.

For anyone out there needing to edit or customize the metadata, I found Subler (Donorware) exceptionally easy and user friendly. Allows any editing or format changes to media's metadata, like Kind (Movie, Home Video, etc.) also, inclusion/exclusion of tracks, reformatting of video or audio, saving sets of settings for multiple disc copies. :D

G8AMB

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Any more views on this

I have just put an SSD in my MacBook and done a fresh install to clear out the old. I am planning to move to Mavericks when it arrives.

I was about to upgrade from Roxio Toast 10 to 11, but looking at the Roxio website it is only suitable for up to 10.7?

I believe that Mavericks is 10.9, so I am thinking that Toast has joined iDVD in being left behind.

I had a look at the App Store and there seems to be loads of DVD software it it is very difficult to sort the good from the bad.

I am looking for something to burn home recorded video to DVD with nice looking functional menus.

Any suggestions as to software which is still being maintained please?

I still have a copy of iDVD but ideally want something that is still under development.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Longtime Toast User

I've been using Toast since it was freeware provided in cd drives around the time of the original iMac.

It's become increasingly worse since around Version 8. I'm up-to-date with 11, and it is bloatware, at times annoyingly awkward, and somewhat unstable. There's also been some recent history with Roxio being on the back foot when OS updates have occurred leaving some software features unusable. The additional programs bundled with Toast follow a similar pattern if not more so. The limitations with the Tivo features are beyond annoying.

The video conversion quality has increasingly lagged behind other options (such as handbrake/visualhub), and often takes significantly more time (hours versus minutes) in some situations.

It's a great example of Sick Boy's unifying theory of life, particularly when commenting on Lou Reed.

I've used the Claris Product Discribe which is a little leaner, but not much better. It also has an annoying copy protection scheme (for the software program) that packs in every so often requiring about an hour of work using their user-unfriendly website. I returned to Toast after it added the capability to burn multiple cd's simultaneously.

I'll be testing Burn as I'd love to uncover a good alternative.

phickers

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Walla Walla
Toast 11 and Mavericks

I just checked the Roxio website for updates and they have posted update 11.2 for mavericks compatibility. I have not installed it yet (downloading now). Just to let you know.

PaulRanger2

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2015
2nd for Simply

Hello DrakkenWar,

I am trying to burn mp4 files to DVD to play on an independent DVD player.

I have tried repeatedly using (Burn - "Burn failed to encode one file" or Burn simply quits if a file is added which the program cannot understand?). The mp4 file plays fine in MPEGStreamclip - Burn seems to be the problem.

I have "SimplyBurns ver. 428" installed but its burn options (from menu) are listed as 'Data', Audio', 1:1 Copy, Rip Disc, Burn Image.

I have the 2 folders (VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS) in a single DVD titled folder on the desktop. Can you suggest a program (hopefully open source) which I can use to burn these playable mp4 files onto DVD, please?

Sincerely, PaulRanger2.

Dinky2

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
2nd for Simply

[doublepost=1540108567][/doublepost]Doesn't look like SimplyBurns can do Blu Ray

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Toast has been complete garbage since the 1st version for macOS X. Back in the Mac OS 7-9 days it was fantastic. The problems started when it tried to be more than just a CD burner.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Toast has been complete garbage since the 1st version for macOS X. Back in the Mac OS 7-9 days it was fantastic. The problems started when it tried to be more than just a CD burner.

Don’t agree. Toast has, for my needs, worked reliably and fine in Mac OS-X. Only thing I don’t like is all the other packaged apps, most of which I have no use for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.