Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Hi Everyone-

I currently have two iPhone 4s. I used one for about a year while I was in the States and my second one was bought when I was in Japan. I had to buy a 2nd iPhone because the Japanese carrier wouldn't let me buy only a micro-sim. I had to buy an iPhone too.

I am back in the States and I want to merge all of my pictures and videos on my Japanese iPhone to my US iPhone. What would be the best way to save/export/import my images and videos?

If I could, I'd love it if I went into camera roll and my images would still show up in chronological order, not alphabetical since the two phones would have different file names.

Thank you

JoltinJoe

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
I'm sure there's better ways to do this, but I love Dropbox so I'll suggest it to you. It's a free, file storage app. Though I don't know about the naming of pictures...

Gorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
I'm sure there's better ways to do this, but I love Dropbox so I'll suggest it to you. It's a free, file storage app. Though I don't know about the naming of pictures...

I have it synced to drop box already, but I prefer being able to see everything through camera roll though.

I was thinking iexplorer, save all of my photos and videos, and then copying it into my US iPhone.

JoltinJoe

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
I apologize if I am misunderstanding you.

If you have all of your Japanese pictures loaded up to Dropbox, can you not then download those pictures to your American iPhone from the Dropbox and would they then not appear in the Photos app?

Gorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
I apologize if I am misunderstanding you.

If you have all of your Japanese pictures loaded up to Dropbox, can you not then download those pictures to your American iPhone from the Dropbox and would they then not appear in the Photos app?

Sorry, I didn't think it through that far.

Yes, if I do use dropbox, it would work. However, everything I download now will go towards the end of my camera roll although I took the pictures half a year ago. It will no longer be in chronological order.

I may just copy all of the pictures I took after Japan and then drop in my Japan pictures, and then reinsert my newer pics. Seems like a hassle, but I can't think of an easier way.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I would just plug in the iPhone into the Mac, and import all pictures into iPhoto. Restore purchased music and do what you need to do to get the stuff off of the iPhone.

Another option is just to let iTunes backup the phone, then restore from the backup to the new one. (I don't know if this option is too viable as you said merge not replace).

Gorge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
iCloud? Photostream?

I don't think icloud and Photostream back up videos.

----------

I would just plug in the iPhone into the Mac, and import all pictures into iPhoto. Restore purchased music and do what you need to do to get the stuff off of the iPhone.

Another option is just to let iTunes backup the phone, then restore from the backup to the new one. (I don't know if this option is too viable as you said merge not replace).

Backup/restore is a pain because my Japan phone has stuff/settings/apps that I would only use in Japan. I do have a backup, but I will be using it as a restore option whenever I travel there and keep my US backup/settings when I'm in the States.

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I don't think icloud and Photostream back up videos.

----------

Backup/restore is a pain because my Japan phone has stuff/settings/apps that I would only use in Japan. I do have a backup, but I will be using it as a restore option whenever I travel there and keep my US backup/settings when I'm in the States.

Your right it doesnt work with videos but would put all your photos into the correct order for you.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
do they have to be in the camera roll? if you put both into iPhoto in a single album and then sync them over, they'll be in chronological order

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.