Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FMcgee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
Recently I have started playing World of Warcraft which, (though irrelevant to my problem (I think)), was the result of me realising my 13" 2013 Macbook Pro, with a 2.5GHc Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM (1600 MHz DDR3), Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB, Software OS X 10.8.4, is not running to its full capability.
This became apparent to me when playing WoW which usually runs on average at between 40-60 fps whilst reaching lows of 30 fps (frames per second). But recently the framerate has dropped to an average of 10-15 fps, reaching lows of 8 fps and highs of 19 fps. After trying lots of recommended solutions offered over the internet, including disk utility, emptying cache, restarting computer and installing updates, nothing worked to fix my problem. Then I was told to look at my activity monitor and the RAM used up by different categories in my computer:
1.18 GB of RAM was 'wired'
1.38 GB of RAM was 'active'
776.6 MB of RAM was 'inactive'
and only 801.9 MB of RAM was free
At this point the only programmes which were open (of which I'm aware of) was Google Chrome, Activity Monitor and my Dash board.
Considering I only have 4 GB of RAM all together, 801.9 MB does not seem a lot. It only took up about 1/6th of the pie chart show on the right.
Also, when I got my laptop, within the first few weeks I downloaded loads of crap to decode illegal torrents I downloaded from the internet, (Which I no longer do), and though I have deleted all of these programmes it has come to my intention that they haven't completely disappeared and could be a drain on my laptops performance.
so basically how would I go about increasing amount of free RAM (if need be) to improve my laptops performance?

Sidenote: This problem is very recent (with the fps on WoW) and came apparent right after our internet went down for a good 20+hours, although this was 2 days ago and the problem hasn't repaired itself. I have also not downloaded or made any changes to my computer, apart from installing MAC updates, and I see no reason as to why my computer would all of a sudden lose so much free RAM (if it has done), or why the performance of WoW has suddenly decreased. Also Google Chrome and every other area of my MAcbook seems to be running as fast as usual, but I've come to the conclusion that this is because Chrome and other software does not need much RAM to run properly?

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Sounds like you might benefit from adding more RAM to your MacBook. Can you open Activity Monitor, make sure the system memory tab is selected and take a screenshot?

8GB (and even 16GB) memory kits are cheap and easy to install in the cMBP models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.