Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Publishes Game-Heavy iOS App Bestseller List

Apple has posted its list [iTunes Link] of the top 25 bestselling apps of all time, following the download of the 25 billionth app from the App Store.

The list, transcribed by MacStories, gives some insight into the types of apps that users are buying, and how those differ between the iPhone/iPod Touch and the iPad.

The top 9 apps on the bestselling paid iPhone list are all games, with photography app Camera+ coming in tenth. In the entire top 25, there are only 5 non-games on the list.

The bestselling free iPhone list does include a number of games, but includes many more app-versions of popular websites and services. Facebook, Pandora, Skype and The Weather Channel are all in the top 5, with Words With Friends Free and Angry Birds Free the only games in the top 10.

Showing how the iPad differs from the iPhone in more than just screen size, the bestselling paid iPad list includes a large number of productivity applications. Apple's Pages word processing app comes in first, with sketching app Penultimate, GoodReader, Numbers, and Keynote all show up in the top 15.

The bestselling free iPad list looks similar to the free iPhone list, with a number of app-versions of popular websites and services, as well as a good number of free games as well.

The full bestselling lists can be viewed on iTunes, or at MacStories.

Article Link: Apple Publishes Game-Heavy iOS App Bestseller List
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Nielsenius
macrumors 6502a

Ever looked at the top 25 paid and free? Mostly games. Kids these days...
Nielsenius is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
macmastersam
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Angry birds has got to be the first. Hands down.
macmastersam is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsenius View Post
Ever looked at the top 25 paid and free? Mostly games. Kids these days...
Seems to be a healthy mix of both productivity apps and games, whats your point?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:12 PM   #5
troop231
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmastersam View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Angry birds has got to be the first. Hands down.
I remember in the days before Angry Birds came along that Doodle Jump was the classic must have app.
troop231 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #6
RickyB
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It seems to be country specific. The list I get here in the UK is different from MacStories' list

Last edited by RickyB; Mar 5, 2012 at 05:26 PM.
RickyB is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G4

Lightbulb

Interesting, but logically the list HAS to be game-heavy; that really doesn’t say anything meaningful about how people use their devices.

Why would it be game-heavy? Because games as a genre are so varied and you can have fun with many similar games.

You’re probably not going to buy, use and recommend ten different word processors or calculators, even if you spend a ton of time using your favorite one or two.

But you may well buy and play ten dual-stick shooters or ten word games! Some you’ll use for hours at a time, some not, but you get value and enjoyment from the variety.

Put another way: there’s a good reason to stop buying apps in any productivity category: you’ve found a great one and now you’re happy. There’s no good reason to stop buying games....
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
MacSince1990
In Time-Out

I wish this wasn't news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
I remember in the days before Angry Birds came along that Doodle Jump was the classic must have app.
Gee. Your memory goes back a whole couple of years. Damn that's impressive.
MacSince1990 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:53 PM   #9
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

I'm surprised and pleased that Tiny Wings is there. It's still one of my favorite games. And I was really surprised Skee-Ball is at number 13. That was one of the early apps for the iPhone. I'm amazed it's still selling so well. But outside of those apps, I only own a handful of others that made the list. I guess I'm just not that app-savvy.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

You'd think with *multiple* calculators showing up as some of the top apps of all-time on the iPad, Apple would realize that people WANT those missing "iPhone apps" on their iPad.

Where are Calculator, Stocks, Weather, etc, etc?
Xenomorph is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 09:30 PM   #11
InfoTime
macrumors 6502

I've always wished there was a checkbox in the App Store so I could filter out games and just see the top ten lists of all the other categories.
InfoTime is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:18 PM   #12
ProVideo
macrumors 6502

I wish there was a way to look at the Top app list for all the categories with games excluded. They just dominate the Top list so heavily, and I rarely ever download game apps when compared to other categories. There might be a way already, but I don't know of one.

Edit: Yeah, what InfoTime said.
ProVideo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 01:53 AM   #13
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It seems to be country specific. The list I get here in the UK is different from MacStories' list
Yep - it's definitely country specific. The Japanese list really surprised me. Only 7 of the top 25 are games, so it's definitely not game heavy. And some of the best selling apps, were very unexpected.
Snowshiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 02:40 AM   #14
fatboyslick
macrumors regular

Is this list Global or USA only - it's just that the Netflix and ABC app aren't available outside the US and I doubt it would make a Global list
fatboyslick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 04:59 AM   #15
llumiaho
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslick View Post
Is this list Global or USA only - it's just that the Netflix and ABC app aren't available outside the US and I doubt it would make a Global list
For me it shows the list for our local App Store.
llumiaho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 06:15 AM   #16
MaxCast
macrumors newbie

What?? No tower maddness?
MaxCast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2012, 06:18 AM   #17
mrmicp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslick View Post
We get the Netflix app over here in the UK, but it isn't on our list.... but BBC iPlayer, ITV player and 4OD are.
mrmicp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:07 AM   #18
iSee
macrumors 68030

One siginificant way these lists are "skewed" (if you're trying to understand what people do with their iPhones, iPads, and Toches): they don't include the built-in apps. Email, messaging, calendar, music, video, books, browsing, etc. are all included.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion