Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ibtechsavvy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
I really want to use iOS 6.1 beta on my phone but I'm worried about giving my UDID out to one of those third party sites. What kind of info does the UDID give in this case specifically, and is it safe? I did it on my 4s and I didn't have any problems, that I could detect anyway.

I've googled this but haven't really found any conclusive information. Is it safe for me to registers UDID for the beta on a third party site?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I see, but why exactly. I'm looking to take advantage of th great battery life ppl have been getting.

Why? Because it has bugs. Often very serious bugs.

We install for testing purposes on development hardware, but rarely are early beta releases stable.

Reboots, freezes, loss of data. All possible with beta software.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
yeah it's better not to risk beta software on your daily phone, could potentially cause problems and ruin it.

Wait for the official 6.1 to come out. I know the waiting process is painful, but bear with it. :D

jaikob

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Freeland, MI
As a developer, I would NEVER ever run beta firmware on my phone unless I absolutely needed it. For example, if Apple makes a change to an API that my app uses, then I would use my iPod Touch to test with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.