Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Uclick has released GoComics, an app that allows users to download classic comic strips to their iPad or iPhone for free. Like the accompanying website, the app includes 20 years of back issues of comics from notable strips like Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, and Dilbert.
comics.png
Want funny? Love comics? We've got your fix. The GoComics app, from Universal Uclick, is the mobile comics portal for many of the most popular comic strips worldwide. From iconic favorites like Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, Garfield, Doonesbury, Dilbert and Marmaduke to modern favorites like FoxTrot, The Boondocks, Big Nate, Pearls Before Swine and Get Fuzzy, we offer the most diverse set of comic strips and panels in one single app for FREE.
In addition to offering classic content, GoComics also features comics from emerging artists and modern cartoonists. The app's content is updated on a daily basis to add new comics and users can both bookmark favorites and share comics via social networking sites or email.

GoComics is a free universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: GoComics Offers Free Classic Comic Strips Like 'Peanuts' and 'Calvin and Hobbes'

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'm hoping Mr Watterson, the Schulz Estate, etc are getting paid here, because unauthorized merchandising was one of the reasons why Bill Watterson quit doing Calvin & Hobbes.

Edit: Doing a fair bit of digging, I'm happy to see that yes, ad and membership money goes to the creators of the content.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Nice concept, poor execution. Many of the older strips (especially Sundays) are too small and low-res to even read. Swiping between days results in the same strip being repeated over and over. Sometimes going back to the calendar to pick the next day works, sometimes you just get a black screen. Could be cool, but needs some work.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Uclick is the publisher for all of these comic strips. Their subscription website has been around for YEARS (which is also why the older strips are low res - because they were designed to be downloaded by people on dial-up modems).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, GoComics recently did a merger with Comics.com awhile back. I hope they somehow end up with more King Features Syndicate stuff sooner than later as I have no desire to pay subscription for their stuff for the iPad when I can look at it online through other means anyway.

They're starting to rescan older strip I think. Or at least post the bigger ones they've always had to begin with. They have "classics" of some of the strips anyway.

Sunday strips look fine on my iPad Mini.

abarrows

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2013
One comic app to rule them all!

Yes! So excited there is now a SINGLE app that I can get to all my favorite comic strips like Lio, Argyle, and of course the classic Peanuts! GoComics.com has always been excellent about listening to their members so I can't wait to see what other cool enhancements they add. I personally would love to see my own comics at the very top or at least be notified what my personal comics have new strips. Stoked!

@Jessica, I hope they merge with King as well! I wouldn't pay for a membership with King but have been really happy with my Pro account on GoComics. Not seeing the ads on the app is amazing!

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Their website is the main reason I've given up on following 9 Chickweed Lane, Citizen Dog, and a few other comics: way too slow, way too much visual noise.

Just got the app - works nice, with a little tactful advertising at the bottom and pretty fast flipping between days. Not instant, but not bad.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Uclick is the publisher for all of these comic strips. Their subscription website has been around for YEARS (which is also why the older strips are low res - because they were designed to be downloaded by people on dial-up modems).

Dial-up modems?? Did they even have electricity back then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.