Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Hi,

I have OSX Server and need some help. Could anybody point me in the right direction to a how to guide OR give me a how to guide on the following please? This isnt a commercial site , just a little tester with family/friends and a way to experiment without incurring costs incase it doesnt work..

1. Host a website (i already have the domain)
  2. Set up the ftp server so i can use filezilla
  3. Make it secure

Many Thanks in advance

Matt

This needs moving back to the original place as I know about FTP servers and webhosting I just don't know how to do it in osx server

Last edited by a moderator:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Check out one many web hosts, they have the tools needed for you to set this up easily and inexpensively.

Setting one up on your computer may violate your ISP's Terms of Services and you could lose your internet if they notice the uptick in traffic.

If you have a NAS, most have the web/ftp services to be set up, that's another option.

The issue with doing it locally is you need to account for your IP address always changing, the one the ISP hands you, so you cannot associate your domain to that IP address because at some point the IP will release/renew.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Check out one many web hosts, they have the tools needed for you to set this up easily and inexpensively.

Setting one up on your computer may violate your ISP's Terms of Services and you could lose your internet if they notice the uptick in traffic.

If you have a NAS, most have the web/ftp services to be set up, that's another option.

The issue with doing it locally is you need to account for your IP address always changing, the one the ISP hands you, so you cannot associate your domain to that IP address because at some point the IP will release/renew.

I have priority internet at home that allows servers. I have a static ip address also. I just need to know how to use the osx server to do that and also what my ftp log in details would be , hence why i put it in the original part of the forum

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
I agree with maflynn who indicated to get a hosting service. At one time I self hosted and DynDNS helped with the ever changing IP addresses.

But security is the issue. I was fortunate at the time because my gateway/router/server was a Linux system and I had layers of security including software that monitored for different types of attacks. It took time and effort daily to keep the software updated, to review log files, etc.

If you are self-hosting why do you need to setup a FTP server unless you are going to allow outside users to upload files to your web site?

The money you are spending for the extra service could be used for a hosting site and by economic scaling they can provide you better service or more features than you could yourself.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
I agree with maflynn who indicated to get a hosting service. At one time I self hosted and DynDNS helped with the ever changing IP addresses.

But security is the issue. I was fortunate at the time because my gateway/router/server was a Linux system and I had layers of security including software that monitored for different types of attacks. It took time and effort daily to keep the software updated, to review log files, etc.

If you are self-hosting why do you need to setup a FTP server unless you are going to allow outside users to upload files to your web site?

The money you are spending for the extra service could be used for a hosting site and by economic scaling they can provide you better service or more features than you could yourself.

I wanted to ftp as i cant see in osx how to chmod files and i can do that easily in filezilla?

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
I wanted to ftp as i cant see in osx how to chmod files and i can do that easily in filezilla?

Don't use ftp. Use scp and filezilla. Works just as well, from your viewpoint nothing changes, except you're sending all your data, your account and your password encrypted instead of readable for the whole world.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009

Sorry for the long pause there. CHMOD is supported via OS X's terminal so FTP is not really needed.

You can also use Finder's GetInfo to change permissions if you need to.

What permissions are you looking to change via chmod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.