Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2012, 06:34 AM   #1
tzhu07
macrumors member

Wikipedia has got to make article editing more accessible

FYI, I'm saying that being a web developer myself.

It's so obvious that the articles are mostly edited by tech-savvy people. Wikipedia is meant to be objective and balanced, but inevitably that's not going to be 100% true when the demographics of wiki editors are so slanted.

For example, this article on "Optimus Prime" is outright ridiculous for various reasons, which I'm sure you can figure out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Prime
tzhu07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:03 PM   #2
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

I reckon it's pretty accessible to edit, but not to create new pages... Although everything I go to create a page about I later find already has a page Damn, dem nerds are fast!
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 01:22 PM   #3
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzhu07 View Post
For example, this article on "Optimus Prime" is outright ridiculous for various reasons, which I'm sure you can figure out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Prime
The only thing I thought was ridiculous was the length of that article for a toy.
Was that what you were thinking, too?
chown33 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 05:29 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzhu07 View Post
Wikipedia is meant to be objective and balanced, but inevitably that's not going to be 100% true when the demographics of wiki editors are so slanted.
Point well taken. Although even if it were as simple to edit as writing a message board post, you'll still have a problem of demographic bias. It is inevitable really...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

or maybe made a little less accessible.......frankly it's pretty easy to edit a wikipedia article
Macky-Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion