Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Dear Macrumors community, as I debate whether or not to upgrade to the iphone 5 or 4S, I have come to a realization: the iphone 3g, even though lacking in features, had the most pleasing shape to hold. Smooth like some pebble you find on a beach and easy to hold as you spoke on the phone. I came across a 3g and like the shape so much, i wish I could get a 4s and find some case that would make it look like a 3gs.... Am I just crazy or is this a view shared by others?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah I think so too. I'm still using my 3GS & I love the curve body design. Sometimes I wish Apple could put a A5/A6 chip inside together with a retina display & 8 MP camera. That will be an ideal phone for me. But most iPhone 5 users will feel the 3GS to be very heavy, I guess, cos its quite bulky.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah I think so too. I'm still using my 3GS & I love the curve body design. Sometimes I wish Apple could put a A5/A6 chip inside together with a retina display & 8 MP camera. That will be an ideal phone for me. But most iPhone 5 users will feel the 3GS to be very heavy, I guess, cos its quite bulky.

I have felt this way since the beginning.

I'll even settle for the 3.5 inch screen.

What I'd do for a 3GS with an A6 processor, 8mp camera, retina display, Siri, iMessage, iOS 6, bigger battery life.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
For looks:
The elegant design of the 4/4S/5.

For everyday use such as holding the phone for long periods of time:
The more ergonomic design of the 3G/3GS

Just my opinion ;)

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I liked the shape of the 3g/3gs, but it wasn't the best. I still say the first gen iPhone had the best shape.

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
Posting from the original. Still the best ever looking phone, and so comfortable to hold. The 3g(s) might be comfortable too but the plastic felt cheap. I get new phones from IT every 6 months, but I always come back to this, despite being stuck at 3.2.

Apart from the amazing engineering the 4-5 fail to impress; never liked the looks of them and they have a non-inviting shape for a hand held.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I tolerated, but never really liked the 3G/3GS shape and design. It definitely had a cheap feel to it especially coming from the original iPhone which felt way more sturdy, but it was a step up and provided 3G data, so I went along with it.

The 4 design and the 5 though, I think are way better. haven't really noticed a problem with holding it for phone calls. Then gain, I've always preferred using a headset or headphones if the call is going to be a long one.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Posting from the original. Still the best ever looking phone, and so comfortable to hold. The 3g(s) might be comfortable too but the plastic felt cheap. I get new phones from IT every 6 months, but I always come back to this, despite being stuck at 3.2.

Apart from the amazing engineering the 4-5 fail to impress; never liked the looks of them and they have a non-inviting shape for a hand held.

Love the original. Still have mine. But edge is too painful these days, and no multitasking on iOS 3 is a killer.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Wife & I have 3GS and love the shape & Comfort. Son has the 5, real nice looking but feels funny in hands. Not saying I could not get use to it in time though. But as long as 3GS does everything I need it to, will keep with it. Wouldn't even consider 4 or 4S. Just to square & bulky for us with smaller hands.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
3GS was comfortable to hold that's true, although I do like the shape of my iPhone 4, as its square shape allows me to stand it on its end on my desk and keep an eye on who's calling, whereas with the 3GS I had to prop that up on something...

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
The two-step design of my droid incredible 2 was probably the most comfortable phone I've had. It had the perfect place for my fingers/palm to hold it while maintaining solid grip of the phone.

The matte plastic back was also extremely durable and grippy. I went naked with that phone and it still looks new after 2 years.

I personally think the original iPhone is still my favorite. I don't mind a little heft with my mobile devices. My iPhone 5 (which I love) feels like a very fragile device.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My favorite design of all iPhones is the 4/4S. Such a simple stainless steel sandwiched between glass design. Has an industrial/solid look and feel. The original iPhones always remind me of an old iPod touch. They look good, but not my favorite design.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I prefer the wider width of the 3G/3GS. I find the 4's and 5 too narrow.

I bet when they re-design it in two years (iPhone 6), they'll shrink the wasted space above and below the screen and make it wider like the 3G/3GS, essentially upping the screen size while maintaining the overall size.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
Hats off to you sir....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.