Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsnowdog

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
When I set up my Mac Pro I created an alternate, internal drive that could also be used as a startup drive. I realize that I forget some of the keyboard commands for diagnostic startups, and recognize the inability to research them in crisis when a computer fails to work correctly.

I am wondering how some of you may have prepared for such a possibility. Do you create any sort of references on paper?

I also consider this as I ponder whether to create an alternate drive so I can try Mountain Lion and at the same time keep a drive with Snow Leopard in case I want to go back.

Thoughts?

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
I guess you could jot down notes if your Mac Pro is the only internet capable device in your house. When I do upgrades on my computer I use my ipad to access online DIY guides.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"When I set up my Mac Pro I created an alternate, internal drive that could also be used as a startup drive. I realize that I forget some of the keyboard commands for diagnostic startups"

Well, if the Mac won't boot from your primary startup volume, just do this:
- Reboot
- As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
- In a few moments the startup manager will appear, giving you a choice between all bootable volumes
- Select your alternate boot volume and go...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.