Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 6, 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
yth
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
no ipad mini retina soon?

I read the AnandTech review of the ipad mini and it says something interesting about the retina display here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/5

Basically, they say that technical limitations will prevent Apple from adding the retina display to the ipad mini in the near future. I don't know tons about retina, but it might be worth reading if you're thinking about waiting for the ipad mini retina. (For those who don't know, AnandTech give very good in-depth technical reviews and I'm guessing they know what they're talking about). Here's the relevant section of the article:

----------------------------- ARTICLE -----------------------------

I prefer reading text and browsing the web on the bigger iPad, but in terms of actually holding the device the mini wins hands down. One iPad is better to look at and one is better to hold. It's a real problem. The obvious solution would be to give the iPad mini a Retina Display. Once again, in our Podcast on this topic, Brian offered poignant insight: a Retina Display likely won't come to the iPad mini.

There are three routes Apple has to enable a Retina Display on the iPad mini:

1. Double horizontal and vertical resolution (4x the number of pixels, similar to what was done for the iPad 3/4)
2. Pick a new, in-between resolution that isn't an outright doubling in each dimension but maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio
3. Pick a new resolution that isn't an outright doubling, also pick a new aspect ratio in the process

With the exception of the iPhone 5, Apple has preferred outright quadrupling of pixel count (2x in each dimension, option #1) to create a Retina Display. With the mini's display using a 1024 x 768 resolution, this option would give it a 7.85-inch 2048 x 1536 panel. That would be the same resolution as the iPad 3/4, but in a much smaller display giving it a pixel density of 326 PPI (vs ~263 for the iPad 3/4). Apple could do this, but it would then need to make all of the same changes it made in going to the iPad with Retina Display, primarily the introduction of a larger battery and much larger SoC. The bigger battery is needed to drive the more powerful backlight, and the X-series of SoCs is needed to actually render the UI and games at such a high resolution. Both of these things would increase the size and cost of the mini, which would make it distinctly un-mini.

The second option would be to pick a new resolution that wasn't an integer multiple of the current one, say 1600 x 1200. You could maintain the same aspect ratio, but you'd just get greater pixel density. The problem with this approach is iOS for the iPad projects points in screen space to one of two resolutions: 1024 x 768 or 2048 x 1536. Picking a non-integer multiple of those resolutions would force Apple to do some scaling and filtering to hit the new resolution, which could reduce quality. Apple does this on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display to enable higher resolution modes. To maximize image quality however, Apple renders the desktop offscreen at 4x the resolution and then scales down to fit the panel. There are obvious performance concerns here as well.

The final option would be for Apple to take the iPhone 5 route and just pick a new resolution and enable support for it. The only downside to this option is that developers would have to target yet another type of display. As we've seen with the iPhone 5, that can be done but it also means a number of applications may take a while to get updated, if they are at all.

None of these options is particularly enticing for Apple, especially given the low (for Apple), starting price for the iPad mini. If you're expecting next year's mini to have a Retina Display, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Last edited by yth; Mar 6, 2013 at 06:27 PM.
yth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 06:06 PM   #2
TJ5921
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Your blue font color is burning my eyes
TJ5921 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by yth View Post
I read the AnandTech review of the ipad mini and it says something interesting about the retina display here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/5

Basically, they say that technical limitations will prevent Apple from adding the retina display to the ipad mini in the near future. I don't know tons about retina, but it might be worth reading if you're thinking about waiting for the ipad mini retina. (For those who don't know, AnandTech give very good in-depth technical reviews and I'm guessing they know what they're talking about). Here's the relevant section of the article:

----------------------------- ARTICLE -----------------------------

I prefer reading text and browsing the web on the bigger iPad, but in terms of actually holding the device the mini wins hands down. One iPad is better to look at and one is better to hold. It's a real problem. The obvious solution would be to give the iPad mini a Retina Display. Once again, in our Podcast on this topic, Brian offered poignant insight: a Retina Display likely won't come to the iPad mini.

There are three routes Apple has to enable a Retina Display on the iPad mini:

1. Double horizontal and vertical resolution (4x the number of pixels, similar to what was done for the iPad 3/4)
2. Pick a new, in-between resolution that isn't an outright doubling in each dimension but maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio
3. Pick a new resolution that isn't an outright doubling, also pick a new aspect ratio in the process

With the exception of the iPhone 5, Apple has preferred outright quadrupling of pixel count (2x in each dimension, option #1) to create a Retina Display. With the mini's display using a 1024 x 768 resolution, this option would give it a 7.85-inch 2048 x 1536 panel. That would be the same resolution as the iPad 3/4, but in a much smaller display giving it a pixel density of 326 PPI (vs ~263 for the iPad 3/4). Apple could do this, but it would then need to make all of the same changes it made in going to the iPad with Retina Display, primarily the introduction of a larger battery and much larger SoC. The bigger battery is needed to drive the more powerful backlight, and the X-series of SoCs is needed to actually render the UI and games at such a high resolution. Both of these things would increase the size and cost of the mini, which would make it distinctly un-mini.

The second option would be to pick a new resolution that wasn't an integer multiple of the current one, say 1600 x 1200. You could maintain the same aspect ratio, but you'd just get greater pixel density. The problem with this approach is iOS for the iPad projects points in screen space to one of two resolutions: 1024 x 768 or 2048 x 1536. Picking a non-integer multiple of those resolutions would force Apple to do some scaling and filtering to hit the new resolution, which could reduce quality. Apple does this on the MacBook Pro with Retina Display to enable higher resolution modes. To maximize image quality however, Apple renders the desktop offscreen at 4x the resolution and then scales down to fit the panel. There are obvious performance concerns here as well.

The final option would be for Apple to take the iPhone 5 route and just pick a new resolution and enable support for it. The only downside to this option is that developers would have to target yet another type of display. As we've seen with the iPhone 5, that can be done but it also means a number of applications may take a while to get updated, if they are at all.

None of these options is particularly enticing for Apple, especially given the low (for Apple), starting price for the iPad mini. If you're expecting next year's mini to have a Retina Display, I wouldn't hold your breath.
and? This is last years news all dressed up in a new thread and frankly it's all been discussed before here! I can just hear that annoying Lisa from Anandtech now...
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?

Last edited by Defender2010; Mar 6, 2013 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Defender2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 10:57 PM   #4
kzhlin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
What are your thoughts on Apple's product releases this year?

Is there almost no chance of a March/April iPad Mini with Retina release?
Is a summer (June/July) release more likely? :O
kzhlin is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
xMClass
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
It will come eventually. Maybe not on the next refresh cycle, but it will. While you people wait, I'll be enjoying my Mini sans Retina Display just fine.
xMClass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 01:28 AM   #6
phrk
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Germany
The big news in here is how it took you so long to find this article than the news itself.
__________________
I am no native speaker so please don't be too hard on me
phrk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:52 AM   #7
JobSteves
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
[as I've said before, a retina mini would need to be bulkier, and heavier to fit the bigger battery thus making it pointless.
JobSteves is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:00 AM   #8
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: /home @ 127.0.0.1
If they manage to use more efficient backlighting, such as the one rumored for iPad 5, the mini may come with retina display in its current weight and dimensions.
DesertEagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:48 AM   #9
LaurieAnn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMClass View Post
It will come eventually. Maybe not on the next refresh cycle, but it will. While you people wait, I'll be enjoying my Mini sans Retina Display just fine.
Me too.
LaurieAnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:50 AM   #10
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Couldn't live with the Mini especially knowing the second gen would take awhile to hit the market so I went with the 4. I can easily live with that and wait out the next releases.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:59 PM   #11
corvus32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
I don't see the Mini getting a retina display, a faster SoC than the 4, and decent battery life this year all for $329 that's for sure.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | iPad Air 128GB (Space Grey)
0_o
corvus32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:56 AM   #12
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a
 
chrisrosemusic1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Milton Keynes, England
Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
I don't think we'll see one this year and if we do then i'll upgrade.

Until then I love my new mini!
chrisrosemusic1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:17 AM   #13
fraggot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
I really wish people would stop using the term Retina display like its a type of technology.
fraggot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:37 AM   #14
rrjr80
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggot View Post
I really wish people would stop using the term Retina display like its a type of technology.
Please tell us more about things you don't like.
rrjr80 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:34 PM   #15
loybond
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Would you rather people say "I can't wait for a screen with double resolution in both dimensions," "I want a resolution-quadrupled screen in the next ipad" etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggot View Post
I really wish people would stop using the term Retina display like its a type of technology.
__________________
Check out my trip reports, food reviews in the Toronto area, or my blog!
loybond is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:05 PM   #16
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggot View Post
I really wish people would stop using the term Retina display like its a type of technology.
No one is doing that.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:23 PM   #17
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040
 
ActionableMango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Option #1 is doable. There is now more efficient lighting. Sharp has a more efficient and thinner screen. Batteries now have higher capacities. A thinner screen makes room for a larger battery. And yes, they could even make the Mini slightly heavier and slightly thicker.

Look at the upcoming iPad; it will almost certainly be lighter and slimmer, yet it will still have a retina screen. Those same improvements can be made to the Mini.
ActionableMango is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Gift for 10-year-olds: Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini, or iPad Mini Retina? dmk1974 iPad 31 Dec 4, 2013 05:30 AM
iPad: Ipad air, Ipad mini retina and Ipad mini space grey photo thread gadget123 iPad 0 Nov 1, 2013 05:44 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Retina (3) -> iPad 4, Mini Retina...Potential Repeat of History? darabo iPad 37 Oct 27, 2013 03:23 PM
Resolved: I'm Going to Sell Retina MacBook Pro and Live on Retina iPad Mini, BUT I NEED........ HappyDude20 iPad 40 Sep 2, 2013 01:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC