Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twitch31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Welcome to this weeks photo contest thread!

THEME: Environmental Portrait. This is my favourite genre of photography, the wikipedia page for environmental portrait describes this genre as "a portrait executed in the subject's usual environment, such as in their home or workplace, and typically illuminates the subject's life and surroundings."

Rules:

You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Shot at Dudley Zoo on a Samsung D1070 compact Camera.

Attachments

• Tiger edit 2.jpg
    Tiger edit 2.jpg
    440.5 KB · Views: 189

pakyooh

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2009
California
Pedro Vidallon for Malaya Project

Headed back to our subject's home after a shoot. Liked his place so I asked him for one last photo for the day.
8887261722_f82d32eb12_b.jpg

twitch31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks to all who submitted. Although these two photos weren’t ideal as environmental portraits, I thought I’d make “special mention” of the submissions by cupcakes2000 and TheReef as they were excellent photos. I did like the candid by dirtsocks 85 too.

Here’s the placing’s as I saw it:

3rd MacRy

2nd pakyooh. Fitted the theme well, good composition. I really liked this one, the shirt rack and the bmx were great, it was a shame the walls were bare, maybe if the lighting was a little different we could tell a bit more about the subject by seeing more of what was in the room. Does he do all his living in this one room for instance? Does he ride as a hobby or professionally?

1st Hankster. Very nice portrait of an artist in her environment, this photo fitted the theme perfectly. Congratulations!

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Thanks to all who submitted. Although these two photos weren’t ideal as environmental portraits, I thought I’d make “special mention” of the submissions by cupcakes2000 and TheReef as they were excellent photos. I did like the candid by dirtsocks 85 too.

3rd MacRy

2nd pakyooh. Fitted the theme well, good composition. I really liked this one, the shirt rack and the bmx were great, it was a shame the walls were bare, maybe if the lighting was a little different we could tell a bit more about the subject by seeing more of what was in the room. Does he do all his living in this one room for instance? Does he ride as a hobby or professionally?

1st Hankster. Very nice portrait of an artist in her environment, this photo fitted the theme perfectly. Congratulations!

I'm wondering if I should have submitted this one instead (probably a better fit for the theme, I was just enamored by how "interesting" the one I submitted looked)

Double Balance by SnickerSnackClick, on Flickr

twitch31

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
I'm wondering if I should have submitted this one instead (probably a better fit for the theme, I was just enamored by how "interesting" the one I submitted looked)

[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/9003208820_2fe9d0c0e7_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Double Balance by SnickerSnackClick, on Flickr

Yes I like that one better than the one you submitted, the subject is clear (child whereas other was not clear if mum or child), and the composition is really good with the leading lines and interaction (mum->child->viewer) and the sense of depth. Mum's feet cropped off is the only negative I can see in a very good pic.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

3rd MacRy

Twitch: Thank you for selecting my photo as the winner. Much appreciated! I will begin a new contest before day's end.

The photo is of my friend who's an amazing artist. For almost two decades she was the director of art for the DEA and worked with the Reagan Administration to create the program "Just Say No To Drugs". She's retired and paints/draws almost everyday. Her work is amazing and sells like "hot cakes" at shows and galleries.

This particular photo was taken for her to use in a magazine interview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.