Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Hi!
I have a 2011 27" iMac with a 3-year Applecare. I'm getting tired of juggling files between my external and internal drives, so I've been thinking about putting in a 3tb drive to replace my 1tb.

I've looked up HDD replacement tutorials and it seems above me, I don't want to risk it and I know it'll void my Applecare. Is it possible to get this done through an authorised repairer/retailer without voiding Applecare? Can I throw money at Apple and have them put a bigger drive in?

trustever

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2013
I am fairly certain that an Apple Authorized Repair will swap it for you and your guaranty will not be voided but just ask them to be sure.
At any apple store I will seriously doubt they will ever do it but asking does not cost you much...

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I am fairly certain that an Apple Authorized Repair will swap it for you and your guaranty will not be voided but just ask them to be sure.
At any apple store I will seriously doubt they will ever do it but asking does not cost you much...

Apple will not perform any upgrades post-sale. You go to an ASP or do it yourself.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi!
I have a 2011 27" iMac with a 3-year Applecare. I'm getting tired of juggling files between my external and internal drives, so I've been thinking about putting in a 3tb drive to replace my 1tb.
I know juggling files across 2 disks can be difficult or it can be easy depending on how the files are split. Maybe you just need to re-arrange your files to make using 2 drives easier?

Also, consider if a larger external drive would make splitting the files easier.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi!

I've looked up HDD replacement tutorials and it seems above me, I don't want to risk it and I know it'll void my Applecare. Is it possible to get this done through an authorised repairer/retailer without voiding Applecare? Can I throw money at Apple and have them put a bigger drive in?

I understand the issues of "splitting" your storage across more than one drive... as I was faced with the same challenge this year when I migrated to a new 2012 iMac with the 768GB SSD.

There are things that you can do to make it quite easy. Rather than "juggling" files back and forth... consider just migrating a few complete functions over the the second drive.

In my case, since everything could not possibly fit on on my SSD... I chose to move a few libraries over to my external (Pegasus R4 array). The two things I moved were:

1. iTunes Media. My library still is on my SSD... but the managed iTunes Media folder is on the Pegasus R4. Since the library manages it... I do not need to do anything differently... it all just works.
  2. Movies. I have all of my movies and home camcorder videos on the Pegasus R4. I have FCPX set to store things there by default.

Those two steps let me keep everything else easily on my SSD. If I needed to... I could similarly move my Aperture library to the Pegasus... but at this point... it is not necessary.

/Jim

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I know juggling files across 2 disks can be difficult or it can be easy depending on how the files are split. Maybe you just need to re-arrange your files to make using 2 drives easier?

Also, consider if a larger external drive would make splitting the files easier.

I understand the issues of "splitting" your storage across more than one drive... as I was faced with the same challenge this year when I migrated to a new 2012 iMac with the 768GB SSD.

There are things that you can do to make it quite easy. Rather than "juggling" files back and forth... consider just migrating a few complete functions over the the second drive.

In my case, since everything could not possibly fit on on my SSD... I chose to move a few libraries over to my external (Pegasus R4 array). The two things I moved were:

1. iTunes Media. My library still is on my SSD... but the managed iTunes Media folder is on the Pegasus R4. Since the library manages it... I do not need to do anything differently... it all just works.
  2. Movies. I have all of my movies and home camcorder videos on the Pegasus R4. I have FCPX set to store things there by default.

Those two steps let me keep everything else easily on my SSD. If I needed to... I could similarly move my Aperture library to the Pegasus... but at this point... it is not necessary.

/Jim

That's what I used to do when I had a 250gb iMac: keep iTunes on an external. But I don't like having to switch a drive on just to use files on it. Some of these externals don't switch off when the computer does, and ones that do "reawake" and cause Finder to pause for a few seconds. I'd rather keep all my files on my internal, and just use my external for Time Machine backups and large-file storage.

I've been calling round for Authorised Apple Repair shops, and it all seems possible without voiding my Apple Care (though the new drive won't be under Apple Care, which is fine by me).

It's crazy that you can't just go into an Apple Store, throw money at them and ask to upgrade your drive. I'd pay the AppleTax to be assured they'd do a good job.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
It's crazy that you can't just go into an Apple Store, throw money at them and ask to upgrade your drive. I'd pay the AppleTax to be assured they'd do a good job.

There are a number of reasons for Apple to do this:
1. They want you to buy a new machine.
2. They do not want to take a chance that the HDD (or SSD or whatever) that you bought doesn't even work ..i.e. it is broken and someone is trying to scam Apple to get a new drive.
3. People would expect Apple to warrant the new drive.
4. The drive might not even work in Apple devices at all. Some of the new HDDs that Apple uses have an extra pin, not found in retail devices.
5. Apple techs might not be certified to install the equipment since it's not standard.
etc.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There are a number of reasons for Apple to do this:
1. They want you to buy a new machine.
2. They do not want to take a chance that the HDD (or SSD or whatever) that you bought doesn't even work ..i.e. it is broken and someone is trying to scam Apple to get a new drive.
3. People would expect Apple to warrant the new drive.
4. The drive might not even work in Apple devices at all. Some of the new HDDs that Apple uses have an extra pin, not found in retail devices.
5. Apple techs might not be certified to install the equipment since it's not standard.
etc.
Your first point is valid. The rest of the points aren't valid if you're willing to pay Apple for the drive plus installation which is how I interpreted the "throw money at Apple" comment.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Your first point is valid. The rest of the points aren't valid if you're willing to pay Apple for the drive plus installation which is how I interpreted the "throw money at Apple" comment.

Exactly. I'm not even suggesting they put in a drive I bring, I just want the one I could have had when I ordered it originally but decided against, or heck one of those 3tb Fusion Drives! I'm sure those would work just fine in my iMac.

Part of the problem is the ageing of my drive. There's a HDD recall for one of the drives used in my model of iMac, but not for the HDD I have. Boot times are increasing and I've had to reformat a few times too, but even under Applecare they're not prepared to take it in. I'd rather just forget the whole thing with a new drive too.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Hi!

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/turnkey/iMac

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
That's what I used to do when I had a 250gb iMac: keep iTunes on an external. But I don't like having to switch a drive on just to use files on it. Some of these externals don't switch off when the computer does, and ones that do "reawake" and cause Finder to pause for a few seconds. I'd rather keep all my files on my internal, and just use my external for Time Machine backups and large-file storage.

I've been calling round for Authorised Apple Repair shops, and it all seems possible without voiding my Apple Care (though the new drive won't be under Apple Care, which is fine by me).

RE: bolded section above.

My Pegasus R4 is permanently attached via TB... and I have never noticed it being disconnected. It seems to turn on/off with the iMac and I have never noticed any problems. Basically, it seems to work like an internal.

/Jim

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

If you're going to pay someone to open it up, have them put in an SSD in the 2nd bay as a boot drive or even better, to fuse with the 3TB/4TB drive they add. The performance difference is astounding.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
If you're going to pay someone to open it up, have them put in an SSD in the 2nd bay as a boot drive or even better, to fuse with the 3TB/4TB drive they add. The performance difference is astounding.

See that's really tempting! I didn't know that was possible. I might put in a small SSD for my apps then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.