Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have a programming background. Not proficient, but have a working knowledge of C, Java (and hence OOP) and Python (in order from working to semi-working knowledge :)).

I need to learn C++ for a project. What are good books or online resources to get me going?

I'm a project-based learner (I can't learn **** from just reading a book, but a book (or online resource) that explains stuff, then have a series of exercises/mini-projects, is golden). So I'm hoping you guys can recommend a book or online resource like that for C++.

Spudhead

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2013
"C++ programming for the absolute beginner"

Brilliant book, lots of example codes to work through and online resources accompanying it. Readily available on Amazon.

icedbullet

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
I have found Lynda.com to be a good resource. It has step by step videos and training files so that you can follow along to the videos. I found it useful because I learn more by actually doing something myself.

The only catch is that it isn't free.

.eric

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
I prefer Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch. Just used it for an intro C++ class, and I actually enjoyed reading it and doing the exercises from it. It's easy to read and really helped me develop a basic understanding of C++.

laprej

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2005
Troy, NY
Koenig and Moo

My recommendation is Koenig and Moo's Accelerated C++. Published in 2000, it's a bit dated but treats C++ like its own language and not like C with classes. It doesn't get into all the nitty gritty details but you don't need those when you're starting out in my opinion. Rating very well on amazon:
http://amzn.com/020170353X

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I have a programming background. Not proficient, but have a working knowledge of C, Java (and hence OOP) and Python (in order from working to semi-working knowledge :)).

I need to learn C++ for a project. What are good books or online resources to get me going?

I'm a project-based learner (I can't learn **** from just reading a book, but a book (or online resource) that explains stuff, then have a series of exercises/mini-projects, is golden). So I'm hoping you guys can recommend a book or online resource like that for C++.

Not for absolute C++ beginners, but this book will help you write C++ WELL:
Effective C++, 3rd Edition, by Scott Myers​

After you've been writing C++ daily for a couple of months, you'll be ready to appreciate this book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.