Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Hi guys,

I would like to buy Apple care for my new mac mini. I recall in the past that many members of this forum would purchase Apple Care from Ebay at prices that were usually 25% to 50% cheaper than buying from Apple.

However, I also remember that there was some controversy over this with the Apple Care disappearing from a registered Mac's account.

My question: Is it safe to buy Apple care from Ebay again? And would you recommend it?

I'm a student so if I can save 25% to 50% on Apple care, I would take it.

Thanks!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
It is safe (certainly much safer ways). Check seller ratings also make sure you get the AppleCare box with registration and serial # factory sealed. Dont allow them to email you AppleCare code - they can "return" AppleCare.

Safest way to purchase AppleCare with a nice discount is B&H Video.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Buy from Apple (use the Education discount) or buy from an authorized reseller like B&H. eBay is rolling the dice and you may well lose.

-jc

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Only buy AppleCare from Apple or an authorised Apple reseller/retailer (of which there are quite a few worldwide).

In the UK, Jigsaw24 has been the cheapest place to buy AppleCare for me on several occasions.

You can get it on Amazon also, but sometimes its through a dodgy marketplace seller - so beware of that too.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
wow, BH has it for only 1$ more than the best priced ebay vendor right now. There is one ebay vendor that sells code only, those are $50 less.
Years ago one of my customers bought a license for crystal reports on ebay. As it turned out, the fraudulent seller had found a way to hack, or had an insider at the company that created the license key.

It was 50% off a 3K license for an enterprise level product. A discount is great, but is the risk worth it?

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
It is safe (certainly much safer ways). Check seller ratings also make sure you get the AppleCare box with registration and serial # factory sealed. Dont allow them to email you AppleCare code - they can "return" AppleCare.

Safest way to purchase AppleCare with a nice discount is B&H Video.

Wait a second. They emailed me the code. I have no box.
I make registration with Apple. Everything is ok. Now I have a valid and active Apple care plan.

Can the seller 'return' my 'Apple care' or take it back, all alone by himself, without any knowledge by me or permission or anything?
Is it possible to take back the Apple care the sold me? From the moment I registered it, doesn't belong to me? Can the cancel it or revoke, afterwards?

Last edited:

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
I got AppleCare a couple of month's back from bhphotovidio for my rMBP. Came to me via mail in sealed box just like you would see at an Apple Store. No problem whatsoever registering code online with Apple. Also purchased AppleCare from them in 2007 for my MB. Reputable company that has been around awhile.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Wait a second. They emailed me the code. I have no box.
I make registration with Apple. Everything is ok. Now I have a valid and active Apple care plan.

Can the seller 'return' my 'Apple care' or take it back, all alone by himself, without any knowledge by me or permission or anything?
Is it possible to take back the Apple care the sold me? From the moment I registered it, doesn't belong to me? Can the cancel it or revoke, afterwards?

If a company like B&H emailed me code I would be fine. However, its possible that the AppleCare could be transferred or possible credit back to an individual.

Where did you purchase it from? It does mean you will be scammed - its only possible.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I purchased it from electronic king, ebay seller which sells macs since 2003.
I could not make the registration myself, so I called Apple and they made the registration for me, after checking it. So, is it real?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.