Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
What kind apps/stenciles/images do you guys use or recommend for drawing out your app.

I'm looking for something more computerized rather than drawing but also something simple to learn and customize. Basically an iPhone frame with blank screen where I can draw images or plant objects.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I use three things:

1 - I drew a simple outline of an iPhone and printed out ~200 copies a few years ago. I take a card off the stack and do my first sketches on that sometimes.

2 - Interface Builder works pretty well if you'd like to see what various UI elements look like together.

3 - I use keynote sometimes. I honestly use keynote for everything under the sun...

I've seen a few mockup apps that look kind of interesting, but they always cost more than I'm willing to spend.

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
We use balsamiq, is quick and easy to draw something up, render it as PDF and send it to a client.
On second hand, we have an designer which makes mockups to if we don't use balsamiq.
And third, when we're live at a client, we use the same technique mentioned above, we have alot of prints of iPad&iPhone frames and we actually draw them by hand.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks for the tips. I'm also looking for something free (should've said that). Really this is just a side hobby for my own enjoyment to make an iPhone app, but I'm looking to get a bit organized in my thoughts and I'm not much of a designer/artist. Powerpoint or Keynote seems like a good option. I guess I'll try that out.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
I use iMockups on my ipad.

It actually allows a 'simulated' app. Exporting in various formats are also possible.

Simple, but ideal for business apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.