Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Apple is really dropping the ball by not allowing third party apps on the AppleTV. The space is wide open, and Amazon offers a great product with Prime. If they capitalize on that with a cheap set top box that allows apps, they can really own the space.
Apple has a great opportunity to change the whole industry with an app-enabled ATV. Video games, channel-specific streaming, etc. there's huge demand for this, and while I'm sure they're working on it, they can't wait forever.
THIS
if i could use Plexapp on an apple TV, I would be out buying one for every TV in my house.

but limiting me exclusively to my Apple content purchased only through apple, running only via apple and requiring only apple appel apple...

yeahhhhhhh. no

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
yeahhhhhhh. no

sp_1303_08.jpg

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
It is amazing. It's also amazing nobody has perfected it yet. At least Apple has had the experience longer than most companies. This gives them the ability to do it right.

I think Roku 3 has come closest to perfecting it. Closest, it's not perfect. I have an atv3, but I want a roku3. Apple should easily be farther ahead in this. By that I mean app wise.

----------

Somewhere Steve Jobs is laughing his @$$ off. He didn't have any idea about how to make a killer Apple TV. He said that because he knew that all the other mfg would fall all over themselves and spend billions in an effort to catch up to something that Apple never intended to produce. It was one final practical joke because he knew that the lemmings that have chased Apple for years would madly grab onto it and run off the cliff with a product that he knew that would go nowhere.

I'm not sure I would say the product is going nowhere.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Meh. My LG TV already has the Amazon Instant Video app, and it's easily the ugliest, least friendly streaming video app around. Can't imagine this will have much to recommend it over a Roku, for example.

I agree. I have a Tivo box with Amazon "instant" video. You have to use your computer to buy and then download to the Tivo after registering it with Amazon. It's pretty bad. I rarely use it. The Amazon UI on Tivo sucks. You can't buy and download directly from the Tivo box. Tivo itself is great though.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
It's amazing how much lead time Apple had with the Apple TV and how little they've done with it.

That's good. Let someone else pick up the pace and start building on this idea's great potential, rather than treating it forever like a hobby.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Ya know, WWDC isn't far away. Announce/release iOS 7 then, open :apple:TV to apps, and explode into that still-empty market - just as competitors arrive where they thought the puck was.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
LG TV and Amazon Instant Video Streaming! Question.

Hey - I also have an LG 'smart' TV with wi-fi (adapter), ethernet, & apps, including the Amazon Instant Video app. I have had trouble streaming video even using an ethernet connection. And, although I have cable broadband, I have 50mbps service, so even at the nadir of the data congestion on my node, I would think that I'd have ample data to allow smooth hd streaming.
I actually phoned Amazon at one point and spoke with (a very helpful) person, who told me that it was the TV which was creating the problem.

Now I'm really nervous about subscribing to Netflix, as I don't want to become unhappy if the service simply will not work properly on my TV (which is only 1 year old).

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the above.

Thanks!

Meh. My LG TV already has the Amazon Instant Video app, and it's easily the ugliest, least friendly streaming video app around. Can't imagine this will have much to recommend it over a Roku, for example.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
As others have said (or implied), I think Apple is avoiding opening up an App Store on the AppleTV until they've released the actual, rumored, TV product.

If Apple intends to release an actual TV, then opening up an App Store now would either leak whatever is novel about the TV product, or it would be incompatible with the TV product.

Better for Apple to just wait for the TV, then six months later backport the TV OS to the then-current-generation AppleTV.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Somewhere Steve Jobs is laughing his @$$ off. He didn't have any idea about how to make a killer Apple TV. He said that because he knew that all the other mfg would fall all over themselves and spend billions in an effort to catch up to something that Apple never intended to produce. It was one final practical joke because he knew that the lemmings that have chased Apple for years would madly grab onto it and run off the cliff with a product that he knew that would go nowhere.

I hope you are right. It's cool that Tim is keeping the Prank alive then.;)

----------

Oh brother. Could you be any more melodramatic?
Lol. I'm being serious! :eek:

----------

BUT I ALREADY HAVE A wii/xbox 360/another xbox 360/ps3/onlive/another ps3/raspberry pi/roku/apple tv/tv internet box/blu ray/dvd player/macbook air IN MY LIVING ROOM

Dude!?:eek:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
BUT I ALREADY HAVE A wii/xbox 360/another xbox 360/ps3/onlive/another ps3/raspberry pi/roku/apple tv/tv internet box/blu ray/dvd player/macbook air IN MY LIVING ROOM

Why do you have two Xbox360 and two PS3? And why do you keep your DVD player if you also have a Blu-Ray player?

Why build a new device when there's a great one for the taking?

If Amazon knew what was good for them, they'd just buy Roku tomorrow and be done with it. It's a great device, has a rich and growing channel/app store, and a development kit that's open and easy to use.

Everything that Apple has been dragging their feet on with the AppleTV, Roku has been doing right and it shows by how quickly the every-day consumer has been snapping these up. My father-in-law doesn't know crap about the difference between Apple, Xbox, PS3, Roku, SmartTV, Tivo or Boxee... he went to Best Buy, saw that the Roku streamed Netflix and bought it for $60... Done... Deal.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Why do you have two Xbox360 and two PS3? And why do you keep your DVD player if you also have a Blu-Ray player?

1. xbox 360 on bottom most shelf RRODs occasionally (and it's hacked), upper xbox is legit and works.
2. left PS3 is hacked with old firmware (3.41? I can't really play online, but I haven't checked the ps3 mod community for updates), right PS3 is legit
3. Blu-ray player uses less power and it was a gift. I don't know why we're still keeping the DVD player, but other people in the house still uses it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Apple is really dropping the ball by not allowing third party apps on the AppleTV. The space is wide open, and Amazon offers a great product with Prime. If they capitalize on that with a cheap set top box that allows apps, they can really own the space.
Apple has a great opportunity to change the whole industry with an app-enabled ATV. Video games, channel-specific streaming, etc. there's huge demand for this, and while I'm sure they're working on it, they can't wait forever.
"Cheap" may be the whole reason they've been twiddling their thumbs on this. The bulk of Apple's profit margins come from hardware sales afterall. Even if the net is high on an Apple TV, they're still making more by selling you an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad AND an Apple TV.

Now there is an alternative to native apps: Airplay integration. By that I do NOT mean AirPlay mirroring, but rather having apps send out a distinct image to the television screen. The problem is that, outside of multimedia apps, Airplay integration has generally been rather poor if not nonexistant. I'm not a developer myself, but I imagine this is mostly boils down to an issue of limited time and resources. Some third parties have attempted to make integration easier through their own APIs. This is something Apple should be doing themselves to encourage more developers to use the feature. They could also set a standard by better integrating their own apps. For example they could have Safari show up in fullscreen on your TV... no black bars like you see now... with your device screen acting more like a trackpad so that you don't have to look down constantly.

Last edited:

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
THIS
if i could use Plexapp on an apple TV, I would be out buying one for every TV in my house.

but limiting me exclusively to my Apple content purchased only through apple, running only via apple and requiring only apple appel apple...

yeahhhhhhh. no

You can use PLEX on an APPLETV

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.