Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Hi...I have an Airport Express N (1st generation) and also an Airport Express G and I was wondering about the proper way to set them up. Currently the N is connected to my router and the G is set to join the network and I use it for streaming music to my stereo.

I am basically wondering about the N setup. I have it set to Bridge mode I believe and I was wondering if that is the best setting and also how I should be setting up the Internet settings. I have it set to "manually" now. Should that be DHCP?

Thanks very much if you're able to help me out.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Only the router CLOSET to your ISP should be doing NAT. Any router after that Gateway Router should have NAT TURNED OFF (in Apple routers it is called "Bridged Mode").

To properly use N to get the true N speeds go into your router and use the Upper channels (int the Hundreds range).

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Only the router CLOSET to your ISP should be doing NAT. Any router after that Gateway Router should have NAT TURNED OFF (in Apple routers it is called "Bridged Mode").

To properly use N to get the true N speeds go into your router and use the Upper channels (int the Hundreds range).

Hi...thanks for the reply. I think that is how I have it setup (my main router is set to DHCP). However, I think my Airport Express is set to distribute static IPs. Should I set this to DHCP as well?

I suppose my main question would then be a basic networking question. I have a NAS box (Synology DS213J connected to my ISPs router. I would like this to have a static IP address so my drive mapping doesn't continually change. What is the best way to do this? I suppose I need to check some setting on my ISPs main router?

Thank you in advance,

Stephan

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I don't think you understand. NAT (Network Address Translation) take one IP (given to you by your ISP) and then a router does NAT and give you an IP range of Private IPs. This is NAT.

Now in your Home the router closet to the ISP modem should be doing DHCP. So another router after that first router should have NAT (DHCP) turned off ("Bridged Mode" in Apple routers)!!! This way all your Home devices will be in the same IP range to share with each other in the same IP range to share with each other on the local network (your Home).

IMHO you should save up and get a modern Airport Extreme. Then use that as your Main router (doing NAT) and the Airport Express for the stereo should be just be the N model, using the N frequencies.

Extra: Get the free iStumbler Beta and find out the stray frequencies given off by other wireless routers around you) and change you own wireless network channels to a different channel to cut down on cross talk slowly your wireless network down.

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
I don't think you understand. NAT (Network Address Translation) take one IP (given to you by your ISP) and then a router does NAT and give you an IP range of Private IPs. This is NAT.

Now in your Home the router closet to the ISP modem should be doing DHCP. So another router after that first router should have NAT (DHCP) turned off ("Bridged Mode" in Apple routers)!!! This way all your Home devices will be in the same IP range to share with each other in the same IP range to share with each other on the local network (your Home).

IMHO you should save up and get a modern Airport Extreme. Then use that as your Main router (doing NAT) and the Airport Express for the stereo should be just be the N model, using the N frequencies.

Extra: Get the free iStumbler Beta and find out the stray frequencies given off by other wireless routers around you) and change you own wireless network channels to a different channel to cut down on cross talk slowly your wireless network down.

Thanks again. I think I'm following you, but just a couple of questions. My Airport Express "N" is set to "Off (Bridge Mode)" under the Network tab in the Airport Utility. However, on the "Internet" tab, it is set to "Static" under the first option of "Connect Using".

So, I suppose my main question would be if this is the correct setup or whether I should change it from Static to DHCP.

If I do go for the Airport Extreme, I would simply connect that to my ISP router (keeping my ISP router set to DHCP)? And from there I would move the "N" Airport Express to near my stereo and set it to join the network?

Thanks in advance...

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The way you wrote before I thought your were using an Express as the router directly connected to ISP modem. So your iSP rented you a Modem/router combination device?

If so can get into that router and find out what model it is?

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
The way you wrote before I thought your were using an Express as the router directly connected to ISP modem. So your iSP rented you a Modem/router combination device?

If so can get into that router and find out what model it is?

I live in Tokyo and it is difficult for me to check settings on the router they provided me. I'm pretty sure it is set to DHCP currently though. I wish I could have more control of it (or could at least check more).

The model name is: A t e r m B L 1 9 0 H W

So, that above router is plugged into the modem. From here, I've plugged in my Airport "N" to the Aterm router and created my wifi network. I also have a PC that is connected to the Aterm and a Synology NAS box that is connected to the Aterm router as well.

I basically just want to make sure I have things setup as best I can. I started thinking about static IPs, because my Synology NAS box's IP keeps changing and I have to continually re-map it almost every time I login.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Look onto your Mac in System Preferences->Network pane and find out what the router's IP is because this is the IP you will put into your favorite browser and web browse to that router's login page (you will have to get the router's default username/password). Get into that router and see if you can set the router's DHCP table to reserve and IP address for a particle device. This way your can set the IP reservation for your devices.

Last edited:

Chuchichan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2010
Maryland
Thanks. I've gone in the router and setup fixed ip addresses for the two devices connected to it. One of them is the airport express router. So, should I keep the AE on bridge mode or should I have it also distribute fixed up addresses? What happens if the AE happens to distribute one (or both) of the fixed IP addresses that I have already assigned through my router? Do they somehow communicate with each other?

Thanks...

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
No remember any router after the router that closet to your ISP modem should be doing NAT. Then ANY routers after that should have NAT turned off (Bridged Mode in Apple routers). This way all you devices will be in the same subnet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.