Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
I just added an account to my mail app and this account has 10000 emails on it, is there any way I can stop my mac from downloading all the 10000 emails and just like download the 100 or so?

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
If you left it running, it would have been done downloading by the time you read this response :eek:

Really, I just let it run in the background. My account has 10k and it doesn't take more than an hour, if I remember correctly.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you left it running, it would have been done downloading by the time you read this response :eek:

Maybe he has a dial-up? :eek:

Myself I moved away from exchange a few years ago to gmail and couldn't be happier. Let them deal with the maintenance.

halledise

macrumors 68000
I just added an account to my mail app and this account has 10000 emails on it, is there any way I can stop my mac from downloading all the 10000 emails and just like download the 100 or so?

10,000!! - 2 or 3000 I get but 10k?

why not:
delete the a/c in Mail.app
go to your actual a/c via your browser - be it gmail, hotmail, or whatever.
do some serious trashing of old and irrelevant emails to bring the total down to a sane number.
empty said trash.
add a/c back into Mail.app.
live a simpler life

goha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
another problem, all the mail that the app downloads, it says its unread even tho I have open them all before

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
This is a serious shortcoming, which I believe is present in both Mail and Outlook. The first three responses in this thread were not helpful, and two of them were anti-helpful, by implying the OP was doing something wrong.

Suppose the OP is an accountant, or a lawyer, or a doctor, and is legally required to retain business correspondence for, let's say 10 years. Suppose further that the OP does so, and has a primary machine storing all the emails, and has a backup drive, and an off-site backup, and heck, an online backup too.

And finally, suppose the OP wants to send and receive email while traveling, and uses an Air, with limited storage space. Can you see now that there is a legitimate problem here?

It's not hard to imagine receiving 30 emails a day. Some of us probably see 10 times that. But even 30 a day becomes 10,000 a year, and then 100,000 in 10 years. If each message is 100KB, that's a solid 10GB of mail.

Now, does anyone have an actual solution here? Perhaps some way to tell Mail only to download messages from the last week or month or year? Or a different mail client with such a capability?

Lostsol

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Was hoping for a solution here too. I don't have 10,000 but I have way more than I want on my Air. I guess what we're looking for is the option like in iOS phone settings to only download a week or a month etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.