Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkeep

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
as the title suggests........ How can I be anonymous on the Internet?

I am concerned about others monitoring my Internet browsing and
being able to track what I download.

Can anybody suggest any free software or pay-for software that will hide my IP address and render me anonymous.

Many Thanks,

Jeff

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
as the title suggests........ How can I be anonymous on the Internet?

I am concerned about others monitoring my Internet browsing and
being able to track what I download.

Can anybody suggest any free software or pay-for software that will hide my IP address and render me anonymous.

Many Thanks,

Jeff

Tor Project, google it and download the browser for Mac.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
If all you are doing is content consumption without logging in to any site and use one of the methods above you should be fine.

If you actually want to participate, like on these forums, or contribute then no. You will always leave an Internet footprint.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
I agree, any VPN service won't do the job. I'm an attorney and we recently prosecuted a case where the VPN company was more than happy to oblige with the subpoena.

If you're so itchy to do something that you need to be anonymous for, maybe you're better off not doing it?

Can't tell you how many people are behind bars right now just for spending a few hours doing something that they shouldn't be doing.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I agree, any VPN service won't do the job. I'm an attorney and we recently prosecuted a case where the VPN company was more than happy to oblige with the subpoena.

If you're so itchy to do something that you need to be anonymous for, maybe you're better off not doing it?

Can't tell you how many people are behind bars right now just for spending a few hours doing something that they shouldn't be doing.

Best answer.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA

http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.