Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook or iMac

• iMac

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • MacBook Pro

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Is'nt that $1000? I already have another display. I got the Offical monitor for MLG

Well, if you have that monitor set up where you use your MBP/where you would use that new iMac, I would suggest just connecting the MBP to the monitor and using it as a desktop with a keyboard and mouse that way. Unless you are performing extremely graphics intensive tasks you really won't see a difference – you may be upgrading to a slightly faster CPU too but the fact that you have the option to pick up your laptop off sets that.

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
Well, if you have that monitor set up where you use your MBP/where you would use that new iMac, I would suggest just connecting the MBP to the monitor and using it as a desktop with a keyboard and mouse that way. Unless you are performing extremely graphics intensive tasks you really won't see a difference – you may be upgrading to a slightly faster CPU too but the fact that you have the option to pick up your laptop off sets that.

Yup, been doing that for a while now; I use the monitor itself to game

cNfGIuw.jpeg

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I think the best option is a New MBP and the Apple Cinema Display. Then you have a 27 in display and portability if needed.

Bingo. I have an iMac, and I just don't want a desktop as a primary workstation. I'm getting a MBP - if I had the money I'd get a TB display but I'm keeping the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.