Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSimpsons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
Do you guys think that the iPad Mini 2 w/ a retina display will have a raised price somewhat? And apple will keep selling the older model for the same price?

You have to think about the competition, especially the dirt cheap new Nexus 7.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
We can only speculate. Apple did not care about the price of the first N7 when the Mini was released so think about that. If they could sell the first Mini for $329 and it sold like hotcakes beating out the larger IPads that had retina, one would think they could get more bucks for the 2 with retina but .....

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
My guess is it'll either sell for $350 or $399. $399 sounds more realistic though, because they have to put an updated processor and graphics in there too (to ensure it can handle smooth operation with a dense retina display), not just the screen.

iSimpsons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
My guess is it'll either sell for $350 or $399. $399 sounds more realistic though, because they have to put an updated processor and graphics in there too (to ensure it can handle smooth operation with a dense retina display), not just the screen.

iPad 2 being dropped, and the iPad Mini w/ retina taking its place at $399 in the lineup? Sounds good to me.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Once Apple makes their announcement, then you will know precisely. Before that it's pure wasted time speculating.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
at this point, when the ipad mini with retina finally comes, I think it will become the definitive ipad. I have a retina ipad now and love it, but with the weight of the mini and how easy it is to hold in one hand for things like reading...I can't wait

ehfz

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2013
If it goes up it won't be by a lot. If prices went up as technology improved then a macbook would cost a billion dollars by now.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
They'll keep the iPad 2 for schools, because the education cost is so attractive. Schools across the country are implementing them as educational devices. Los Angeles Public Schools is going 1:1 this year, nearly 700,000!

Coachingguy

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Once Apple makes their announcement, then you will know precisely. Before that it's pure wasted time speculating.

Spacial is right. We should only discuss things that have been confirmed by Apple.

Spacial, please could you write to Arn and ask him to change the name of the site to MacFacts? Obviously, you'll need warn him about a drastic loss in traffic and revenue, but I'm sure he'll see the brilliance of your plan.

markintosh

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Boise, ID
Why more expensive?

I can see it costing a few dollars more for the Retina Display, but updated proc and graphics are no reason for cost increase. Cost of graphics today that were ok for retina last year has to be at least 50% of what it was a year ago. Realistically, the different processor should cost no more to make.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I can see it costing a few dollars more for the Retina Display, but updated proc and graphics are no reason for cost increase. Cost of graphics today that were ok for retina last year has to be at least 50% of what it was a year ago. Realistically, the different processor should cost no more to make.

What was the price difference From the iPad 2 --> iPad 3 (first retina iPad)? I'm assuming something similar will happen to that. So either it'll stay the same, or up to $350? I bet apple could have easily set the original iPad mini price to $350 and still sold well, so maybe they set it lower, having intended the retina mini to come in at $350 afterward.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
It would be a monumental mistake if its priced higher than the current mini considering retina type resolution 7" android tablets going for $229.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Memory price jumps

They need to address the price for 16G, 32G and 64G... no way does memory cost $100 for 16G these days :)

About time 16G went away altogether. 32, 64, 128.

With realistic jumps between them (look at what shop bought Flash keys are worth to see how much memory tax Apple is applying). Without the ability to addin micro SD cards of your own, you are stuck with Apple's excessive memory prices. Usually the middle memoried item is the worst value one.

midwestfisherma

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
S.E. Mich
Do you guys think that the iPad Mini 2 w/ a retina display will have a raised price somewhat? And apple will keep selling the older model for the same price?

You have to think about the competition, especially the dirt cheap new Nexus 7.

Hold on, let me check the Apple site for their pricing..................

Darn, it's not on there yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.