Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Computer savvy people
I am an (unwilling) Time Warner Road Runner subscriber (for TV & Internet). This week I received a notice that starting soon I will be charged $3.95 monthly for renting a formerly free modem. TWC gives me the option of purchasing one and lists those that are compatible with their cable system. I am ignorant when it comes to these matters. Would anyone be able to suggest the right modem for me to buy. I have a Mini Mac OS 10.5.8 which has never caused me any real trouble (knock on wood). Thank you. (TWC deems only 5 purchaseable modems to be compatible but lists about 30 modems which they are willing to rent to you. Perhaps a hyperlink to their notice may help to understand this rip off. Grrr....) http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/support/topic.ashx/Buy+or+Lease+Your+Modem

Thanks to anyone who can decipher this.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would get one of the DOCSIS 3.0 compatible modems to future proof yourself for potential upcoming speed increases. They only list two DOCSIS 3.0 modems, the first Moto SBG6580 includes a built in wireless router if you want to go that route. If you want to use your own router, save a little money and get the Moto SB6141.

If it were me, I would get the SB6141 and use my own router.

Just be aware the downside here is if you have Internet trouble, now you are opening the door to TW saying it is YOUR modem at fault and they may want to charge you a truck roll fee to come out and troubleshoot.

Lots of users discussing this issue here.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
Motorola Surfboard SB6121 is the way to go. I'm with Charter and consistently get 30+ mbs down and 5 up. Quite often it's in the high 40's. I'm paying for 30.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Motorola Surfboard SB6121 is the way to go. I'm with Charter and consistently get 30+ mbs down and 5 up. Quite often it's in the high 40's. I'm paying for 30.

Except that is not on the approved list the OP posted.

KyS3a.png

Farley

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Why?

Thanks for responding and yes, thanks I did read that link. I (antediluvian) have neither a router nor a need for Wifi. I receive the internet through a dedicated cable from TWC. Would this change any of your modem recommendations? And why would Time Warner ok only 5 modems for purchase but several dozen for rent?

davidterranova

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Using my Optimum modem?

Hi,

Having the same problem right now, have just moved home and the new place only has TW, so I have no other option but to go with them.

I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

The previous tenant already had TimeWarner hooked up, so I tried plugging the cable into the modem... it gave good signal (the right lights flashing - i think!), but no net.

I was hoping to find something online showing how to hack past any restrictions by messing around with settings in the modem's control panel that could make it work... But I ended up here.

Any network buffs here who could offer some advice?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I already have a modem from my previous account with Optimum, it's a Motorola SBV5121XM. I'm hoping that this list of approved modems is just BS, and that in fact other modems MAY work too... could that be possible?

Also, they charge a further 5.99 for a wifi router... Again, I have my own NETGEAR WPN824N... will this work?

Any DOCSIS 2 or 3 modem can technically work, but for whatever reason TW is limiting it to the short list at the link provided. From what I have read from other TW users in this forum, you will not be able to use anything not on the approved list because you have to call TW to activate any cable modem you use, and they will not activate your Motorola for example.

Yes, you would be able to use a TW supplied able modem with your Netgear router.

davidterranova

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
you will not be able to use anything not on the approved list because you have to call TW to activate any cable modem you use, and they will not activate your Motorola for example.

Thanks for the info! If this is the case then it makes it even more shocking.
A blatant scam like this would never be allowed to happen in the UK...

Anyway, is this process of activating a modem a standard procedure that happens across all ISPs (I've never noticed this step when setting up accounts with other providers in the past) and that can only be done from their end?
OR is it another fictitious step that TWC added to help their cause, and is there a way to do this by one's self?

I read through the forum you linked to, seems like some people are trying to use other modems that aren't on the list...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyway, is this process of activating a modem a standard procedure that happens across all ISPs (I've never noticed this step when setting up accounts with other providers in the past) and that can only be done from their end?

This whole rent your modem thing is fairly new with many US ISPs. All I have read about you just buy your modem and hook it up, then call the ISP with the MAP address info and model number etc. from the sticker on the mode, and they activate it while you are on the line.

davidterranova

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
I just found out that Verizon provides broadband to the address. I should go with them, right?? I don't really know about these companies, people keep talking about FIOS..

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I just found out that Verizon provides broadband to the address. I should go with them, right?? I don't really know about these companies, people keep talking about FIOS..
I've had FiOS for a long time now (7 years, maybe?) and absolutely love it. Well, love it compared to any other provider I've ever had. They're not perfect, but they are much better than others, at least around here.

Reliable, fast, really decent modem provided, etc. Recommended.

davidterranova

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Thank you!
Turns out that fios doesn't cover my area, so I'm left with two choices:
Verizon DSL or TimeWarner...

Any suggestions? One's worse than the other, right?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Thank you!
Turns out that fios doesn't cover my area, so I'm left with two choices:
Verizon DSL or TimeWarner...

Any suggestions? One's worse than the other, right?
Given how horrific TW is, I'd have to think Verizon is less terrible, by default.

davidterranova

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Ok thanks for the advice.
Verizon it is.

(sorry for diverting the topic... and good luck to you TWC customers!)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Given how horrific TW is, I'd have to think Verizon is less terrible, by default.

I think it really varies by region. I have been quite happy with TW here. Of course, they have been notching up the prices and fees over time, but so does Verizon. :mad:

Mikey-Mike

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
CLE
Wha? Time Warner’s Ok.

I have a Motorola SB6120 and I don’t think it was on their list when I installed it and I think it’s still not:

All you do is plug it in and then call their number and give the person the i.d. number of you modem (it is printed on the packaging or modem?) and that is it.

They just want the number from your unit so they know who is supposed to be on their system and who is trying to steal.

I have a D-Link router with my set up and it works great with Macs and was zero trouble to set up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.