Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1
asenna
macrumors newbie

Left MBA fully discharged overnight bad for battery?

I left my MBA fully discharged overnight, is that bad for the battery? I know lithium batteries don't like being discharged.
asenna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:28 PM   #2
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

No, because it wasn't "fully discharged", it was just below the voltage required to run the computer. There is a chip dedicated to keeping your battery from actually discharging or overcharging.
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:16 AM   #3
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Try not to do that again. I killed both my PowerBook G4's battery and my MacBook's battery by running out of juice and then forgetting to charge them for a day or so. When I got around to trying to charge them, the computer wouldn't recognize the battery.

The same dang thing happened to my bro's MacBook battery too!

Basically, there has to be enough power for the battery's control unit to work, and if it manages to get too low (like, you run the computer down to the point that it won't even turn on AT ALL), then after some time there won't even be enough power for the control unit, and unless the control unit has power, it won't let the battery charge.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
asenna
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG4 View Post
Try not to do that again. I killed both my PowerBook G4's battery and my MacBook's battery by running out of juice and then forgetting to charge them for a day or so. When I got around to trying to charge them, the computer wouldn't recognize the battery.

The same dang thing happened to my bro's MacBook battery too!

Basically, there has to be enough power for the battery's control unit to work, and if it manages to get too low (like, you run the computer down to the point that it won't even turn on AT ALL), then after some time there won't even be enough power for the control unit, and unless the control unit has power, it won't let the battery charge.
Perhaps the older batteries were more susceptible to this? There was a change in battery technology/performance when they moved up from 300 cycles to 1000 cycles of guaranteed capacity. What year was your brothers macbook?

And cheers to a Bay Area member. Its wet out there today drive safe
asenna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
2IS
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
No, because it wasn't "fully discharged", it was just below the voltage required to run the computer. There is a chip dedicated to keeping your battery from actually discharging or overcharging.
The man speaks the truth. There's essentially a "cut off switch" with laptops, once the voltage drops below a certain level, it will simply stop providing power to the machine.
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6
jdavtz
macrumors 6502a

I doubt it causes harm; Apple actually instruct you to do it for older MacBooks to calibrate the battery/time remaining thing, but say it's not necessary for newer models. They don't say it's harmful.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490
jdavtz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:39 PM   #7
firewood
macrumors 603

The battery controller doesn't actually let the battery fully discharge. It will shut the MBA down before a dangerously low level. A consumer product Li-Ion battery is designed for several 100 to over a 1000 full discharge/charge cycles before losing half their capacity (and many many more partial cycles), so at most you will lose a fraction of a percent of your battery capacity.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by asenna View Post
I left my MBA fully discharged overnight, is that bad for the battery? I know lithium batteries don't like being discharged.
I wouldn't do it on a regular basis, but one time isn't going to hurt anything.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air