Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:37 AM   #1
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Android 4.2 source code being pushed to AOSP already.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ng/-ymcoMuDAbA

Quote:
Good news everyone!

-The source code for 4.2 is being pushed to AOSP right now. Look for
it under the name "android-4.2_r1" once the replication completes. The
matching development branch (for CTS contributions) is jb-mr1-dev, and
all the changes are merged into the master branch where platform
contributions are accepted.
Not long till the custom ROMs start hitting I'm guessing.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...ng/-ymcoMuDAbA

Not long till the custom ROMs start hitting I'm guessing.
Gotta love the Android dev community.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Now if only the official update would hit my N7, nothing yet.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4
RMXO
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
It's already out

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...nual-download/

You can google 4.2 Nexus 7 for other download sources
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
If you have the means just install it yourself instead of waiting for the OTA. Google will put them out in stages.

Also there is a trick to make it want to update. Clear data and kill google.framework then check for update. Sometimes that works, it used to on past Android devices I've used anyway.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:14 PM   #6
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
If you have the means just install it yourself instead of waiting for the OTA. Google will put them out in stages.

Also there is a trick to make it want to update. Clear data and kill google.framework then check for update. Sometimes that works, it used to on past Android devices I've used anyway.
I'm always hesitant (better word is probably lazy) to force installations. As for clearing data that's probably over my head and I'll assume I need a root to do that?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Really excited. My S2 Skyrocket just got stable CM10 today too. So nice.

Could you imagine if iOS had this much flexibility? Especially with all our talented theme designers?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm always hesitant (better word is probably lazy) to force installations. As for clearing data that's probably over my head and I'll assume I need a root to do that?
I am already running 4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7. Got them installed just before lunch today.

As someone mentioned, the binaries for 4.2 for the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus (HSPA) have been released.

Downloading and pushing the update to your device takes a lot less know-how than it used to since Google included a stock recovery to nexus devices which does not require root access.

The hard part is downloading/installing the Android SDK (Software developer' kit) and the USB driver for your device.

Once that is done, it is a simple matter of putting your device into adb sideload mode (which requires you to go into recovery mode first) and using your computer to issue a single command which copies the update onto the device and tells the device to install it.

Its not a one click solution, but it is no more difficult than installing a video game back in the early 90's before the days of plug & play or directX.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:52 PM   #9
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I am already running 4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7. Got them installed just before lunch today.

As someone mentioned, the binaries for 4.2 for the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus (HSPA) have been released.

Downloading and pushing the update to your device takes a lot less know-how than it used to since Google included a stock recovery to nexus devices which does not require root access.

The hard part is downloading/installing the Android SDK (Software developer' kit) and the USB driver for your device.

Once that is done, it is a simple matter of putting your device into adb sideload mode (which requires you to go into recovery mode first) and using your computer to issue a single command which copies the update onto the device and tells the device to install it.

Its not a one click solution, but it is no more difficult than installing a video game back in the early 90's before the days of plug & play or directX.
Wow that's a heck of a lot of work. I'll just wait for the update, but I do miss how immediate Apples updates were. Google still has some work to do on that front.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:01 PM   #10
3bs
macrumors 603

Can't wait for CM to release an update for my International S3! I don't know how long it'll be till I get my Nexus 4 which I ordered from a website that sells electronics since it's not available in my country.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wow that's a heck of a lot of work. I'll just wait for the update, but I do miss how immediate Apples updates were. Google still has some work to do on that front.
Not really? Android has been the #1 mobile OS in the world for a while. Unlike iOS, when a new version of Android is released, you immediately have both mobile devices trying to download it OTA and modders accessing it so they can hack the new binaries onto their 3rd party ROMs.

Google has learned (the hard way) that staggering the release is the best way to keep carriers from having their entire networks hosed and distributing a buggy update to a million people.

People who don't mind playing around with a shell prompt can jump the line a bit.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:01 PM   #12
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Not really? Android has been the #1 mobile OS in the world for a while. Unlike iOS, when a new version of Android is released, you immediately have both mobile devices trying to download it OTA and modders accessing it so they can hack the new binaries onto their 3rd party ROMs.

Google has learned (the hard way) that staggering the release is the best way to keep carriers from having their entire networks hosed and distributing a buggy update to a million people.

People who don't mind playing around with a shell prompt can jump the line a bit.
Did Google announce a release date? I know when Apple announces a release it's ready at that exact time for everyone, not this staggered stuff. I'm sure I'll get it eventually, but was just excited to have it today.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices