Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hey guys, just wondering in this video why this guy's installation of Sheepshaver looks so weird, especially the icons? You can see it at about 9 minutes.

And in general, is this the best way to install Sheepshaver? The reason why I want to install Sheepshaver in the first place is to run some old Mac OS 9 games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqgw4z_r2sE

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I tried that guys install method and both those icons and the fact I had no sound really bugged me. Is there any other install guides that someone here used to install Sheepshaver on an Intel Mac with Mountain Lion that worked well?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
If that is your website, thanks for the info. Did he install it correctly?

I don't know, I didn't watch it all the way through. I'm actually reloading all of my Emulator files right now. It's going to take a little while though.

Anyway, the important thing is to use the Boot disk image to get the system started. I remember coming up with an easier step for making your own disk image but can't remember at the moment, I'll tinker around once I get my files reloaded and I'll chime in.

EDIT: I'm downloading my files from my site to see if even I can get it started.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Ok, the latest build of SheepShaver states that you don't need the Prefs application anymore. This I don't agree with. Use the attached Prefs application to setup the proper preferences. After that, using my newworld86.rom and the OS9.img should at least get your system booted. This is all pretty straightforward as to what my tutorial says.

Attachments

• SheepShaverPrefs.zip
    56.7 KB · Views: 823

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ok, the latest build of SheepShaver states that you don't need the Prefs application anymore. This I don't agree with. Use the attached Prefs application to setup the proper preferences. After that, using my newworld86.rom and the OS9.img should at least get your system booted. This is all pretty straightforward as to what my tutorial says.

Hey thanks man! I'll try it and let you know how it goes tomorrow! :D

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I got the sound to work! Woohoo! Thanks man. Lots of great help and your website, combined with that Youtube video, really did the trick.

Good stuff man, I'm still quite surprised that nearly 7 years after I first wrote that tutorial that it's still helping people out. The Mac OS Classic were the days... though I think more fondly of the System 7 days than the OS 9 ones.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Hey guys, just wondering in this video why this guy's installation of Sheepshaver looks so weird, especially the icons? You can see it at about 9 minutes.

And in general, is this the best way to install Sheepshaver? The reason why I want to install Sheepshaver in the first place is to run some old Mac OS 9 games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqgw4z_r2sE

Doesn't look like he's running Mac OS in millions of colors. Also the icons look like that unless you add your own ones on there. One of the things I hated was having to do that

pac

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Just as something for your site, it says Sheepshaver runs OS 8.1 to 9.0.4.

I've managed to boot the same 7.5.5 image on Mini vMac, BasiliskII, and SheepShaver.

Shyster

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
I had better luck with Basilisk II. That doesn't do OS 9 though.

Me too.

I got the sound to work! Woohoo! Thanks man. Lots of great help and your website, combined with that Youtube video, really did the trick.

Well alright then. Since I created the video, and a lot of people are having that problem, I'll put this thread in the description and add some annotations to the video.

Also, I can't believe I happened across this thread by accident. I was wondering how the creator of Redundant Robot found my video.

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Me too.

Well alright then. Since I created the video, and a lot of people are having that problem, I'll put this thread in the description and add some annotations to the video.

Also, I can't believe I happened across this thread by accident. I was wondering how the creator of Redundant Robot found my video.

great video. =]

bloxythefox360

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2016
I run the windows version of sheepshaver and do not own a mac, could you please help me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.