Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:10 AM   #4576
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
I just had a Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream today. If you love your coffee and you enjoy ice cream, this is the one to get. It's so very coffee-licious, you forget you are eating ice cream. LOL


Image
Thanks for posting this, but not really my cup of tea, or, should I say, coffee….

However, I have to say that coffee flavoured anything - other than coffee itself - doesn't really do it for me.

Moreover, strange to relate, I am one of those relative rare people who utterly detests ice-cream - it gives me blinding migraine headaches, so I rarely touch it.

But, real Ethiopian coffee, on the other hand……..

Last edited by Scepticalscribe; Jan 11, 2015 at 12:17 PM.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:47 AM   #4577
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mishigamaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
However, I have to say that coffee flavoured anything - other than coffee itself - doesn't really do it for me.
Same for me. The only coffee flavored anything I will consume is actual coffee, hot coffee too, none of that iced coffee for me - yuck!
__________________
••• SandboxGeneral.com •••
SandboxGeneral is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2015, 02:11 AM   #4578
Solomani
macrumors 68000
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Thanks for posting this, but not really my cup of tea, or, should I say, coffee….

However, I have to say that coffee flavoured anything - other than coffee itself - doesn't really do it for me.

Moreover, strange to relate, I am one of those relative rare people who utterly detests ice-cream - it gives me blinding migraine headaches, so I rarely touch it.

But, real Ethiopian coffee, on the other hand……..
Umm…. but Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream is made from real coffee beans. It's not just "coffee flavored". It's made from actual coffee beans. Not fake or artificial flavoring.

Although your ice cream aversion, I guess not much you can do about that. You're not lactose intolerant, perhaps?
__________________
The Islamists have an infinite supply of Toyota pickup trucks. This war could take a long time.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2015, 07:43 AM   #4579
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Umm…. but Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream is made from real coffee beans. It's not just "coffee flavored". It's made from actual coffee beans. Not fake or artificial flavoring.

Although your ice cream aversion, I guess not much you can do about that. You're not lactose intolerant, perhaps?
No, I love cheese, (there is hardly a cheese I dislike), and eat good quality cheese in quite considerable quantities, and I'll admit that I rather like cream, too, even in coffee.

Indeed, I can actually tolerate (in minuscule amounts, the old style ice-creams which were made from cream, and a genuine fruit, rather than chemical substitutes). No, it is not the 'cream' (whether real or chemical) that I dislike, it is the texture of the stuff, and the ice cold; that gives rise immediately to blinding headaches, and searing pain.

But, to be honest, I prefer my coffee in a cup, or mug…....

However, at dessert, after a rather good dinner last summer, my brother did try an Affogato, and (having sampled a tiny teaspoonful merely to taste), I will concede that it was rather good. Notwithstanding that, I would still be unable to eat it…….
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:05 AM   #4580
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
My lovely Ethiopian coffee was finished yesterday, so this morning I opened a packet of what Intelligentsia called 'Honey Badger' Espresso blend.

This is a blend that they put together each winter, at the deepest, darkest, dreariest part of the season. The precise blend differs from year to year, but the general pattern that they attempt to replicate is a rich, loamy, sweet, and quite 'full' mouthful.

Anyway, I loved last year's blend, which I thought superb.

This year, the tasting notes informed me that the current year's blend features beans from Kenya, Brazil, Colombia and Ethiopia and that I would be 'missing something special if [were I] not to take this syrupy sweet and viciously flavourful espresso for a spin in [my] portafilter'.

Honest to God (or whatever divinity we any of us acknowledge) - who writes this stuff? "Viciously flavourful"? That sentence is actually written on the packet.

Having said all that, it is a lovely coffee.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:05 PM   #4581
Solomani
macrumors 68000
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
My lovely Ethiopian coffee was finished yesterday, so this morning I opened a packet of what Intelligentsia called 'Honey Badger' Espresso blend.
But since it's honey badger, you really shouldn't care.
__________________
The Islamists have an infinite supply of Toyota pickup trucks. This war could take a long time.
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:12 PM   #4582
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
But since it's honey badger, you really shouldn't care.
In truth, I don't. I simply note this vocabulary of extraordinary adjectives with astonishment and drink the coffee with supreme enjoyment…...
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:20 PM   #4583
mobilehaathi
macrumors 603
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Anthropocene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
But since it's honey badger, you really shouldn't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
In truth, I don't. I simply note this vocabulary of extraordinary adjectives with astonishment and drink the coffee with supreme enjoyment…...
Just in case SS isn't familiar with this particular reference...

__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:23 PM   #4584
Reticulum
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern Ireland
I'm quite the fan of a good espresso myself. I use hasbean mainly for my beans. Grinder is a mazzer mini, machine is a Fracino Cherub
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coffeesetup.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	524926  
__________________
Mac Pro Late 2013 Quad Core 3.7Ghz 32GB 512GB  MBP 13" Late 2013 2.4Ghz / 8GB / 256  iPad Air 2 64GB  iPhone 5s 16GB

Last edited by Reticulum; Jan 14, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
Reticulum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:45 PM   #4585
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Just in case SS isn't familiar with this particular reference...

YouTube: video
Ah, wow.

No, actually I wasn't familiar with that particular reference; that is hilarious, grotesque and most informative.

Thank you for posting this.

I shall savour my coffee even more…….and yes, now that I do get that reference to 'viciously flavourful'……..it does seem somewhat more apt, in the circumstances…...
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2015, 09:14 PM   #4586
mobilehaathi
macrumors 603
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Anthropocene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reticulum View Post
I'm quite the fan of a good espresso myself. I use hasbean mainly for my beans. Grinder is a mazzer mini, machine is a Fracino Cherub
Looks like a mighty fine setup!
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2015, 07:53 AM   #4587
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Just in case SS isn't familiar with this particular reference...

YouTube: video
You know, until I read your post (and watched this fascinating video), I had vaguely assumed that the Honey Badger was one of those odd American mammalian life forms, a bit similar to badgers but with a few pronounced evolutionary quirks, sort of like some of those strange marsupials one finds in Australia, or curious creatures of South American extraction, the ones which, a bit like bears, are rather keen to raid bee hives.

Now, I had no idea it was a sort of muscular wolverine with a sweet tooth and a vicious disposition………fascinating.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:41 AM   #4588
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040
 
iLog.Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Just picked up my Chemex and can't wait to make my first cup. First few cups are going to be sub-par as I experiment on a proper process and test out water/beans ratio but this should all be fun! So excited!
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD, Intel HD 3000 + ATI Radeon HD 6770M
iPad with Retina Display
iPhone 5S
iLog.Genius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 02:30 PM   #4589
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
Just picked up my Chemex and can't wait to make my first cup. First few cups are going to be sub-par as I experiment on a proper process and test out water/beans ratio but this should all be fun! So excited!
I'm looking forward to reading your account of what the Chemex is like, how you like using it, and how you find the coffee it makes…….
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 02:43 PM   #4590
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040
 
iLog.Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Didn't want to wait to get fresh roasted beans so I grabbed whatever I could find in the cupboard.

Just a quick initial impression. Again, these were by no means special or even fresh beans but one thing that instantly stood out was how much cleaner, smoother and lighter the taste was. On first pour, you really notice how clean it is because of the color. With the French press, it was a bit more muddier and on first pour, it was a darker.

As for using the Chemex, it was clear to me that it's not for everyone. It's not a lot of work but I just don't see the average joe setting up the Chemex, getting water to boil and then manually pouring the water over the grounds. It's sort of driving a car with a manual transmission. I personally love the hands-on experience and I can't wait to experiment with this more!
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD, Intel HD 3000 + ATI Radeon HD 6770M
iPad with Retina Display
iPhone 5S
iLog.Genius is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2015, 02:56 PM   #4591
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
Didn't want to wait to get fresh roasted beans so I grabbed whatever I could find in the cupboard.

Just a quick initial impression. Again, these were by no means special or even fresh beans but one thing that instantly stood out was how much cleaner, smoother and lighter the taste was. On first pour, you really notice how clean it is because of the color. With the French press, it was a bit more muddier and on first pour, it was a darker.

As for using the Chemex, it was clear to me that it's not for everyone. It's not a lot of work but I just don't see the average joe setting up the Chemex, getting water to boil and then manually pouring the water over the grounds. It's sort of driving a car with a manual transmission. I personally love the hands-on experience and I can't wait to experiment with this more!
The one time I have had coffee from a Chemex, - in an excellent restaurant a few months ago - the coffee was a superb Ethiopian coffee, and I did wonder whether the clean, bright, smooth taste came from the coffee bean itself (because this is the signature taste of Ethiopian coffee) or from the fact that it was made in a Chemex (which, likewise, is also characterised by offering a clean, bright, smooth taste….)

While I can imagine that it is not for everyone, I was enormously impressed by it the one time I tried it; hence, I plan to buy one pretty soon.

Please keep us informed of your continuing and evolving experiences with the Chemex…..
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:14 AM   #4592
SurferMan
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South FL
Chemex makes a very smooth and clean, kinda lighter, cup of coffee.
SurferMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:59 AM   #4593
Dowjohnny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Germany
I just wanted to give a quick feedback about my ECM setup that i posted earlier in this thread After i received the packages (my machines were produced just in time) i was pleasantly surprised that the guys at ECM had included a big pack of espresso beans so that i would not have to waste my own future beans on setting up the grinder and the machine itself.

I have set up my little corner in the kitchen (pics will follow) and adjusted everything so far, and i love every bit of it. The machine runs perfectly and is a real pleasure to use, the grinder is also easy to use so im pretty pleased.

I will have to readjust some settings since everything is new, but i am pretty close. Will have to invest in some nice cups and more importantly in a knock box for the coffee powder. I am also in love with the equipment holder

http://www.ecm.de/1/accessories/equipment-holder/


So far so good
__________________
Mid 2011 Macbook Air 13" 128GB; Ipod shuffle black; Apple TV 3. Gen.;
Dowjohnny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:01 AM   #4594
D.T.
macrumors 68040
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLog.Genius View Post
Didn't want to wait to get fresh roasted beans so I grabbed whatever I could find in the cupboard.

Just a quick initial impression. Again, these were by no means special or even fresh beans but one thing that instantly stood out was how much cleaner, smoother and lighter the taste was. On first pour, you really notice how clean it is because of the color. With the French press, it was a bit more muddier and on first pour, it was a darker.

As for using the Chemex, it was clear to me that it's not for everyone. It's not a lot of work but I just don't see the average joe setting up the Chemex, getting water to boil and then manually pouring the water over the grounds. It's sort of driving a car with a manual transmission. I personally love the hands-on experience and I can't wait to experiment with this more!
Used the Chemex this morning (kind of a “working holiday” so a little more leisurely pace today )

Totally agree on all your points, even the manual tranny metaphor - I’m a car enthusiast (read: nut), and my last several rides have been manual, by choice, motivated purely by the driving experience (most haven’t even been available in an auto!)

I have gotten a pretty good, repeatable process down. The water quantity I use oz (converted from grams), so that’s a quick measure right from the filtered supply on the fridge, start heating, beans, ~27g, quick measure, standby in the grinder, filter folded ... then the water boils, I grind (~10 seconds), wet the filter, pour out excess, coffee in, divot, water, bloom, 30 seconds, pour half, wait for it to clear, remaining water. Dump filter, swirl ... ++glorious++

From start to finish, it’s < 10 minutes for me, it’s probably like 6-8 minutes, not including the “hands off” time just waiting for the water to heat up. I think the math actually works in favor of the Chemex: 5x the time, 100x better coffee
__________________
"I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No, I am the one who knocks." ~Walter White
D.T. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:20 AM   #4595
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferMan View Post
Chemex makes a very smooth and clean, kinda lighter, cup of coffee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
Used the Chemex this morning (kind of a “working holiday” so a little more leisurely pace today )

Totally agree on all your points, even the manual tranny metaphor - I’m a car enthusiast (read: nut), and my last several rides have been manual, by choice, motivated purely by the driving experience (most haven’t even been available in an auto!)

I have gotten a pretty good, repeatable process down. The water quantity I use oz (converted from grams), so that’s a quick measure right from the filtered supply on the fridge, start heating, beans, ~27g, quick measure, standby in the grinder, filter folded ... then the water boils, I grind (~10 seconds), wet the filter, pour out excess, coffee in, divot, water, bloom, 30 seconds, pour half, wait for it to clear, remaining water. Dump filter, swirl ... ++glorious++

From start to finish, it’s < 10 minutes for me, it’s probably like 6-8 minutes, not including the “hands off” time just waiting for the water to heat up. I think the math actually works in favor of the Chemex: 5x the time, 100x better coffee
Excellent news. More positive reviews for the Chemex.

This is becoming ever more interesting, and I shall certainly succumb in the near future to the siren lure of purchasing one.

Now, on a separate but related matter, has anyone any thoughts, or experiences of exceedingly high altitude Bolivian coffees?

Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #4596
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Opened a new coffee today, another offering from Rwanda, one which I had not tried before now.

This is the 'Ruvumbu' coffee from Rwanda, (which came courtesy of Intelligentsia). This is a lovely, luscious, rich, somewhat heavy and sweet mouthful. Very, very nice.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:02 AM   #4597
mobilehaathi
macrumors 603
 
mobilehaathi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Anthropocene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Opened a new coffee today, another offering from Rwanda, one which I had not tried before now.

This is the 'Ruvumbu' coffee from Rwanda, (which came courtesy of Intelligentsia). This is a lovely, luscious, rich, somewhat heavy and sweet mouthful. Very, very nice.
Hmm, it's been a while since I had a Rwanda coffee, but I do recall it being quite tasty. I'll consider some for my next batch from SM's!
__________________
The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked along.
mobilehaathi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #4598
Scepticalscribe
Contributor
 
Scepticalscribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kite flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Hmm, it's been a while since I had a Rwanda coffee, but I do recall it being quite tasty. I'll consider some for my next batch from SM's!
As with coffees from other countries, and regions, (and all of the other factors which influence how a coffee bean tastes), the coffee I have had fem Rwanda varies considerably.

Earlier, I had tried the 'Gaspard' coffee, from Rwanda, which, while perfectly nice, was nothing spectacular; however, today's 'Ruvumbu' was excellent, a coffee that I would be more than happy to order (and drink) again.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 PM   #4599
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040
 
iLog.Genius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
I have gotten a pretty good, repeatable process down. The water quantity I use oz (converted from grams), so that’s a quick measure right from the filtered supply on the fridge, start heating, beans, ~27g, quick measure, standby in the grinder, filter folded ... then the water boils, I grind (~10 seconds), wet the filter, pour out excess, coffee in, divot, water, bloom, 30 seconds, pour half, wait for it to clear, remaining water. Dump filter, swirl ... ++glorious++
what's the water/bean ratio you're using? right now I got about 35-40g of beans to about 650ml of water. I'm interested to see what others are using and how they're finding the taste.
__________________
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.5GHz, 8GB RAM, WD Scorpio Blue 500GB HDD, Intel HD 3000 + ATI Radeon HD 6770M
iPad with Retina Display
iPhone 5S
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Espresso Freaks: Solution To A Problem Nobody Asked About Shrink Community Discussion 13 Jul 6, 2014 06:40 AM
Car enthusiasts RiddlaBronc Community Discussion 3 Dec 22, 2013 12:34 PM
Coda 2 vs Espresso 2 raymondu999 Web Design and Development 0 May 31, 2012 01:14 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2015, MacRumors.com, LLC