Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I have noticed that when I tether my iPad to my iPhone 5 over bluetooth the speed is extremely slow. Almost unusable. However tethering over wifi is just fine. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Both are running iOS 6. My previous iPhones had similar speeds over Bluetooth/wifi. Odd that the new one has super slow speeds over Bluetooth.

amdman

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
I have noticed that when I tether my iPad to my iPhone 5 over bluetooth the speed is extremely slow. Almost unusable. However tethering over wifi is just fine. Is anyone else seeing this issue?

Both are running iOS 6. My previous iPhones had similar speeds over Bluetooth/wifi. Odd that the new one has super slow speeds over Bluetooth.

I'm having the exact same issue. 1.21 Mbps down on Bluetooth, 9.89 Mbps down on wireless tether.

Same for me on the older phone, my 4S had similar speeds on bluetooth vs. wireless..

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
bluetooth data transfer speeds are slower than wireless, around 2 Mb/sec. hence the slower speeds.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I thought Bluetooth 4.0 was supposed to crank up the speed?

I like bluetooth tethering because the devices stay tethered no matter what. If you use Wifi tethering, as soon as you sleep the iPad for more than a few seconds, they disconnect.

If I want the ipad to have internet for something like a long car ride (as a passenger of course) I tend to use Bluetooth because it will stay linked for the entire ride, even when I don't use it for long stretches.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I thought Bluetooth 4.0 was supposed to crank up the speed?

I like bluetooth tethering because the devices stay tethered no matter what. If you use Wifi tethering, as soon as you sleep the iPad for more than a few seconds, they disconnect.

If I want the ipad to have internet for something like a long car ride (as a passenger of course) I tend to use Bluetooth because it will stay linked for the entire ride, even when I don't use it for long stretches.

i think 3/4 are the same 24 mbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.