Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tharius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
I'm deciding on whether to get either a Macbook Air 13" or a Macbook Pro Retina 13".

If I get the 13" Air the specs would be i5, 8GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD which comes to $1,650 after tax.

However, I would be able to get the Macbook Retina for $1,600 and it comes with the same exact specs, except that it comes to 128 GB SSD.

I'm a college student who would take this laptop to class everyday, and the main application I use is Adobe Photoshop.

I already ordered the Air 13", but i'm regretting my decision since I feel like buying a Macbook Pro Retina and 64 GB SD (or something like that) would be a better option since it's actually a cheaper option and I get the Retina screen.

Thoughts?

jpangeles1581

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Get the air, you wont really enjoy using the retina since it can't maximize the full beauty of the retina screen due to the lack of GPU performance [ HD 4000 ] and it is the first year of apple making a retina laptop so expect ghosting and other issues . IMHO, id rather get the Air because of its portability and performance as well.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Retina is all the rage as it's new & Apple is promoting it. Sure it's nice (I use a 15" MBP retina) but it's not the holy grail. I also have a 13" MBA which is equally as nice. If I was suggesting one I'd get the Air.

In a year or two everyone will have retina equivalents & it will be no big deal.

yanksrock100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2010
San Diego
I would say the Air....the retina has an Intel 4000 to power all those pixels and that is not acceptable. It lags, even on the UI. For the Air, it is great because it has less pixels. It can power the Air perfectly.

Other than that, the Air has a nicer form factor, is thinner, and lighter. Also, for your config., it has more storage.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
i went with the macbook air i5/8/256 13" 2012 grand total including tax is $1706

even though i know the macbook pro retina 15" for about $550-600 more would have been the better option, or a lower end macobk pro retina 13" base model for $150 more compared to what i paid for my macbook air 2013 13" would seem like a better deal... in the end my main deciding factor was weight and portability.

i think you made the right choice, and its quite normal to look back and regret your decision and think to see if the macbook pro retina would have been the better buy at that price point that you paid. i know i did.

but if i wanted performance at its best, i would have gone for the macbook pro 15". i just felt theres no reason to go with the pro 13" when the 13" air is just as good, not to mention its lighter and more portable. that was my deciding factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.