What you have to deal with when you open carry... - Page 8 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 24, 2013, 06:48 PM   #176
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
I hope you grew those venison steaks in your garden.

Here is what my garden looks like about 8 months of the year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rreed3/2207003895/
I know it's off topic, but it looks beautiful there.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:06 PM   #177
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrorider View Post
Really, people think private business owners should be barred from allowing their customers access because they're legally exercising a constitutional right? And some wonder why proponents of gun rights believe their 2nd ammendment rights would slowly be taken if they don't oppose additional gun legislation.

Since some will not agree with the message, how about those wearing "I support the 2nd amendment" shirts...should businesses be barred from allowing political free speech as well? After all, some don't want to be exposed to it while getting their morning Joe.

Here's a thought...get your latte somewhere else. Criminals ignore gun-free zones (or are emboldened by them) anyway so you won't be any safer, but if it makes you feel better and has the benefit of not taking away the rights of your fellow man, isn't it the better choice?
I understand the point of Concealed carry, I do it from time to times.

But what's the point of walking around with a rifle on your back? Its not socially acceptable in the vast majority of the country.
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:12 PM   #178
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Here's a thought...get your latte somewhere else.
Here's a thought ... carry your gun somewhere else.
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 07:24 PM   #179
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
But carrying a rifle in a coffee shop full of people is a expression of American Freedom! Anything less is Muslim communism
G51989 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:08 PM   #180
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
I understand the point of Concealed carry, I do it from time to times.

But what's the point of walking around with a rifle on your back? Its not socially acceptable in the vast majority of the country.
I'm not sure why people do a lot of the things they do, but if it's legal (not to mention a constitutional right) and so presumably not causing anyone any harm, who am I to judge?

Quote:
I must have missed the right to visit Starbucks and not encounter people who don't think like me in the Bill of Rights. Crazy thought...we could all just try to understand we're not the center of the universe and let other people live their lives in the perfectly legal manner they choose.
astrorider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:22 PM   #181
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'm not sure why people do a lot of the things they do, but if it's legal (not to mention a constitutional right) and so presumably not causing anyone any harm, who am I to judge?
It tends to cause unrest in many areas, and will probably increase the chances of being shot by polite, at least in my area.

I understand in some places people have the right to carry openly, and more power to them.

I want to know WHY? Whats the point? Does someone feel safer?

I have a bit of a gun nut buddy who said " oh I carry it for my protection ", and how's it protection? I concealed carry, and in most situations, I can have that pistol out, and his brains on the wall before he gets that rifle halfway around his body.

So whats the point?
G51989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:29 PM   #182
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Crazy thought...we could all just try to understand we're not the center of the universe and let other people live their lives in the perfectly legal manner they choose.
I was thinking the same thing myself.

Edit: I should explain this a bit more ...

I am content—if the law allows it—for customers to open carry in Starbucks.

I am content to let other customers petition the local owner or the corporation to stop allowing it.

And ultimately, I'm content to let the owner of the establishment to choose whether to let it happen ... and to lose or gain customers based on that decision.

Isn't that fair?

Last edited by citizenzen; Aug 24, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 08:42 PM   #183
astrorider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing myself.

Edit: I should explain this a bit more ...

I am content to let other customers petition the local owner or the corporation to stop allowing it.

And ultimately, I'm content to let the owner of the establishment to choose whether to let it happen ... and lose or gain whatever customers because of that decision.
Agreed That's what I was trying to say all along, I guess with too many negatives ;-)
astrorider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:17 PM   #184
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Agreed That's what I was trying to say all along, I guess with too many negatives ;-)
Always nice to be able to come to an agreement, despite our divergent political positions.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:22 AM   #185
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Every once in a while one of our local (uniformed) police officers comes into a coffee shop I frequent. And I'll tell you, seeing that gun on her hip makes me uncomfortable.

Obviously, its not because I think there is the slightest chance she's going to start shooting people. And I understand on an intellectual level that for her carrying a firearm is part of her job.

What I don't like is that it is an inescapable reminder of the level of violence - or at least the threat of violence - we tolerate in our society. And I'd argue it is the threat - one almost completely of our own making - that is far worse than anything else.

The reality is that the suburban town I live in isn't Dodge City. We don't have gunfights every day, week, month, or even every year. In fact, to my knowledge in the thirty years I've lived here, the entire Police Department has discharged their weapons twice while on duty. (One time they accidentally killed their own Police Chief during a hostage situation. And another time they shot and killed a mentally unstable guy who was running around a subdivision firing a handgun.) The majority of the police' time is spent doing traffic enforcement and busting kids for drug possession. Every couple of months there is a burglary.

We here in the US have created this myth that we are living in some wild West frontier. We don't.
vrDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 06:42 AM   #186
GermanyChris
Banned

THe end state is that there is going to have to be a compromise on the gun question sooner rather than later. This mourn and point fingers thing we've been doing over the last decade or so seems to not be working. The reasons for the crime need to be addressed as much as the means of the crime. Gun people will always see the opposite side as gun grabbers because there is never anything addressed in gun control other than background checks and banning particular firearms. This only addresses the means not the cause which leads only to the absurd on both sides. We love to compare states that have banned or heavily restricted guns and point to that and say see no guns is good without looking at the rest of the society.

We aren't going to get anywhere controlling violence until we can get healthcare and education under control. The poor will always steal (in the modern world sell drugs). In modern society where it takes two breadwinners to make ends meet people cannot afford healthcare so things go untreated.

What doesn't help is folks walking around with guns on their hip or across their back, but neither does acting like everyone who does or has is a potential mass shooter.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues