Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapitts08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
anyone have this happen?

it is connected to a late 2012 mac mini via dvi to hdmi adapter

it worked fine when i first got it last week but now when i plug up a device it charges for a second and then stops

it happens for all 4 ports

i talked to them at dell and they said the monitor is not compatible with mac and my only option is to send it back :/

i really like the monitor but this blows

any thoughts?

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I had this same monitor hooked up to my mini for a over a year. It worked fine as a USB hub and there were no issues. Did you try resetting the monitor or unplug for 5min? How about swapping the USB cable for another?

If neither of those work, it seems defective. It's not an issue of Mac vs. PC (but you could plug it into a friend's PC to check). If send it back is an option, and the above all fail, I'd return it. But, I'd get another 2412 because it's a great monitor.

dapitts08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I had this same monitor hooked up to my mini for a over a year. It worked fine as a USB hub and there were no issues. Did you try resetting the monitor or unplug for 5min? How about swapping the USB cable for another?

If neither of those work, it seems defective. It's not an issue of Mac vs. PC (but you could plug it into a friend's PC to check). If send it back is an option, and the above all fail, I'd return it. But, I'd get another 2412 because it's a great monitor.

thanks. i tried plugging up my ipad directly to the mini and my ACD and it charged fine. i don't have another of the type of usb cable that connects the monitor to the mini. i will buy one and try that before i send back.

i am about to try the 5 minute unplug now and see if it works.

it is weird though because it seems like it is working but not pulling enough power. when i connect my ipad it charges for like 1 second and stops.

dapitts08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
five minute unplug didn't work :/

i will try another cable tomorrow

John Kotches

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Troy, IL (STL Area)
it is weird though because it seems like it is working but not pulling enough power. when i connect my ipad it charges for like 1 second and stops.

USB spec is 0.5amp, which doesn't tend to work charging an iPad. If memory serves, iPad needs 1.0amp to charge.

There is a newer USB spec that will allow for higher output. Note that the wall charger is not a computer bus so the rules don't apply.

dapitts08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
USB spec is 0.5amp, which doesn't tend to work charging an iPad. If memory serves, iPad needs 1.0amp to charge.

There is a newer USB spec that will allow for higher output. Note that the wall charger is not a computer bus so the rules don't apply.

thank you!!! plugged up my phone and it is charging fine so it was indeed the ipad.....i didn't think that the ipad was the issue since it charges fine on the usb ports of my ACD.....

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"it worked fine when i first got it last week but now when i plug up a device it charges for a second and then stops"

Operative word here is "charging".

Are you trying to use the ports on the monitor to charge a USB device?
Or… to just connect it?

A guess (and it's ONLY a "guess") is that the ports on the monitor may work in ordinary circumstances (that is, connect a device but not "charge" it), but may not supply enough current to actually charge a device that needs charging.

The Mac itself will automatically "disconnect" USB ports if an "overcurrent" situation exists (device attempting to draw too much bus power). I'm guessing that something like this is happening with the monitor's ports.

Solution (as mentioned above) -- plug the device _directly_ into the Mac's ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.