Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

green0816

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I have kind of an unusual problem (well, something I haven't been able to find any answers to).

To start off, I have an early 2008 black MacBook running on Snow Leopard. The problem is that anytime the battery is removed then re-inserted, it takes anywhere from a day to 3 days for it to power on again. I have to just wait around to either hear the start-up chime or come home to see the sleep light on.
Now, I know the simple solution to this would be to not take the battery out, but every so often I have to do an SMC reset because my MacBook will refuse to recognize the built-in iSight.

I have no problems with sleep, restart, or shutting it down and powering back on (if that matters).

So, my question is, does anyone know what the problem is here, or how it could be fixed? It always comes back on, it just always takes the 1-3 days to do so.

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
I have kind of an unusual problem (well, something I haven't been able to find any answers to).

To start off, I have an early 2008 black MacBook running on Snow Leopard. The problem is that anytime the battery is removed then re-inserted, it takes anywhere from a day to 3 days for it to power on again. I have to just wait around to either hear the start-up chime or come home to see the sleep light on.
Now, I know the simple solution to this would be to not take the battery out, but every so often I have to do an SMC reset because my MacBook will refuse to recognize the built-in iSight.

I have no problems with sleep, restart, or shutting it down and powering back on (if that matters).

So, my question is, does anyone know what the problem is here, or how it could be fixed? It always comes back on, it just always takes the 1-3 days to do so.

Idk if this would help but try to recalibrate the battery...

1) Fully charge the battery
2) once fully charged, leave plugged in for another few hours
3) unplug it, and use the battery until the low battery warning pops up. Ignore it and keep running your macbook and eventually it will go to sleep
4) once it goes to sleep DO NOT PLUG IT BACK IN, let it sit for 5-8 hours
5) after that plug it back in do not unplug it until its charged back to 100%

Hope this helps :D

green0816

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Idk if this would help but try to recalibrate the battery...

1) Fully charge the battery
2) once fully charged, leave plugged in for another few hours
3) unplug it, and use the battery until the low battery warning pops up. Ignore it and keep running your macbook and eventually it will go to sleep
4) once it goes to sleep DO NOT PLUG IT BACK IN, let it sit for 5-8 hours
5) after that plug it back in do not unplug it until its charged back to 100%

Hope this helps :D

thanks, I will be sure to try this when it decides to turn on!

dogbots159

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2013
May I ask how this worked out for you? This sounds like my main problem. When I pull the battery, I get the same symptom. Also, when it does boot, I noticed I have a black x for the battery. Did this also happen for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.