Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I've converted several files with no problems but I ran into 1 file and when I tried to save it, it told me I needed to have Perian installed for the audio. Downloaded Perian and installed it but now I get a "Audio converter error:The audio converter cannot be initialized". I go back and turn off (says uninstall) Perian and I get the prompt that I need to download Perian. I've had Perian installed before and seems to be a pretty legit program but it seems kinda flaky. Am I just doing something wrong?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I've converted several files with no problems but I ran into 1 file and when I tried to save it, it told me I needed to have Perian installed for the audio. Downloaded Perian and installed it but now I get a "Audio converter error:The audio converter cannot be initialized". I go back and turn off (says uninstall) Perian and I get the prompt that I need to download Perian. I've had Perian installed before and seems to be a pretty legit program but it seems kinda flaky. Am I just doing something wrong?

Converted to what, using what, with what OS?

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
sorry...convert to m4v with Subler using Mountain Lion

----------

The audio is AC3 ...which seems to be new??

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
sorry...convert to m4v with Subler using Mountain Lion

----------

The audio is AC3 ...which seems to be new??

AC3 is Dolby Digital 5.1, so not new.

ML broke Perian and Perian is no longer being worked on. So there will be no updates to Perian to fix the problem. You will have to fix it manually by adding a file to your system. Follow these excellent instructions by Menniesyys2:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478588/

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
cool...looks a little in depth,I'll do it either tonight or tomorrow.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
cool...looks a little in depth,I'll do it either tonight or tomorrow.
Not as bad as it looks. You already have Perian installed, so it is really just downloading the file, unzipping it, and placing it in the correct place. His article is about the whole aspect of converting both AC3 and DTS using Subler, so it goes into a lot more than you need. But there is a lot of good info in his tutorials. I would suggest reading through them to get a good feel for what you are doing.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Not as bad as it looks. You already have Perian installed, so it is really just downloading the file, unzipping it, and placing it in the correct place. His article is about the whole aspect of converting both AC3 and DTS using Subler, so it goes into a lot more than you need. But there is a lot of good info in his tutorials. I would suggest reading through them to get a good feel for what you are doing.

got it...thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.