Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bubka86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Hello,firstly, sorry for my English- coz I'm not a fluent English-speaker :)
I'm planning to buy a new computer, because my laptop broke a while ago.I can't decide what would be the best option for me.I'm a student and my budget is limited.Firstly was planning to purchase a pc with intel core i7 3.4ghz and geforce 550ti graphic card and windows 7, 8gb ram and 1tb hard drive.I got a very good offer- 620 euro for this.
However I got confused because:
I study digital media design course and at the moment we use apple computers with logic pro and final cut pro-we learn these applications- that are for Macintosh programs only.So I can't get them on Windows.(I can use apple computers in the college but the access' time is also limited-college is close after 6pm or 7pm)
We also use some Adobe applications on macs in the college but adobe does programs for both macs and windows so I can get these for pc.
I like macs of course and consider purchasing mac mini, because I'd like to have possibility to do my college work at home.However I'm aware that pcs can be upgrade better than macs.I can also play games on pcs (not sure if I can play pcs games on a mac mini?)
I'm just not sure what should I consider with a limited budget, really can't decide, coz I know I can run logic pro and final cut pro on mac mini- I consider the one with core i5, 2.5ghz, intel hd graphics 4000, 8gb ram.
I would like to get something for next couple years- not 2 years but at least 4.
Any good, clear suggestions?I would really appreciate guys!

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
The choice is pretty easy. If you need apple software get the mini. If those programs aren't a deal breaker then your money is better spent on a pc.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
If you're worried about being able to play PC games, you can install Windows on your Mac and boot into Windows to play games that aren't otherwise available to play on your Mac.

Colchiro

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
Get a 2007 or newer Mini and install Win7 on it and dual boot mac/Windows. :D

2011 and newer are a bit faster and have a 500 gb HD.

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit

A bit faster is an understatement but good advice all the same. Just avoid any core duo/core solo models and you should be safe. Personally I think 2009 is cut off point for for what you want.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

2009 is the cut off. 2007 can't run Mt. Lion and are using the abysmal Intel 950 GPU. They were solid machines, but severely lacking in GPU.

Bubka86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Thank you for your replies,just one question :is it ram memory u can only upgrade in your mac mini?

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Thank you for your replies,just one question :is it ram memory u can only upgrade in your mac mini?

Technically speaking you can upgrade RAM and HDD (SSD) but Apple wont be happy if machine fails in warranty period( if they notice). That's why they want you only upgrade RAM.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Sounds like you need the mac mini to work the programs you need so if I were you I would get the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.