Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2015, 01:31 PM   #251
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Wow. That Macallan 21 looks absolutely fantastic. Superb. Is it as good as it looks? That is a bottle I would be more than happy to make the acquaintance of.

Sorry to learn of your health issues, but I really hope that you are able to really fully enjoy those few sneaked and snatched sips of that luscious Macallan.

It's amazing, and worth every penny. It's a Speyside, so it's easier on the peat taste than Islays, and is quite smooth. When I first opened it, a friend and I finished about 1/2 the bottle before we realized it.
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:04 PM   #252
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
It's amazing, and worth every penny. It's a Speyside, so it's easier on the peat taste than Islays, and is quite smooth. When I first opened it, a friend and I finished about 1/2 the bottle before we realized it.
Ah, wonderful.

I can only read your post with a combination of suppressed envy and vicarious pleasure. And I can only agree with you: A bottle like that is worth every penny.

In any case, I'm not surprised that the best part of half a bottle was consumed before you realised it; such, smooth, rich, and exquisite stuff is firstly, best drunk in good and congenial company, and secondly, disappears surprisingly easily. Well, that has been my experience. It only remains to say, that I will express the fervent hope that you thoroughly enjoy the remainder of the bottle.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:06 PM   #253
Huntn
macrumors G3

Quote:
Each to their own….enjoy.
I was saying Southern Comfort was too sweet so I was not disagreeing with you.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 03:05 PM   #254
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
I was saying Southern Comfort was too sweet so I was not disagreeing with you.
While I sometimes like the idea of the adjective 'sweet' in an alcoholic drink, it has to come in a form of sweetness that is a smooth and velvet sweetness, a sweetness that is properly balanced with a depth of textured and layered flavour, and perhaps, leavened by a touch of acidity, too.

This means that such a version of 'sweetness' ('dulce') patently excludes an interpretation which includes 'cloying' and 'sticky', both of them, alas, adjectives which have ben known to describe Southern Comfort.

Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2015, 03:31 PM   #255
Huntn
macrumors G3

Quote:
While I sometimes like the idea of the adjective 'sweet' in an alcoholic drink, it has to come in a form of sweetness that is a smooth and velvet sweetness, a sweetness that is properly balanced with a depth of textured and layered flavour, and perhaps, leavened by a touch of acidity, too.

This means that such a version of 'sweetness' ('dulce') patently excludes an interpretation which includes 'cloying' and 'sticky', both of them, alas, adjectives which have ben known to describe Southern Comfort.

I like sweet such as found in Bailey's, or certain flavored tequilas, but that half shot of Southern Comfort was a real eye opener, tasting more like a orange liqueur than a whiskey. I may try it again because I've noticed frequently my first taste of a new whiskey is not the final impression. I need to have several tastes over a period of time. And I do limit myself, usually sipping 1 to 1.5 shots in a session. I don't like the whiskey buzz as compared to a beer buzz- curious. Maybe of interest, whiskey tastes best when I gulp a half shot, instead of sipping at it.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion