Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I know nothing of photography. My best pictures are from my iPhone with a little instagram filter. My girlfriend wants to upgrade her camera. She currently has a Lumix something. She's not too picky (she's with me after all), I just thought it would be a nice gift for her.

Are there better choices in those ranges of cameras? I saw a couple of $2000+ monsters that she definitely didn't want.

I've started doing research on dpreview.com, but there is sooo much information and sooo many choices that I truly became overwhelmed with a .2 difference in this or a 1000th of a second that.

Any advice would be helpful.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
Let me just say, that I own the 60d and love it. I've invested in the Canon ecosystem so it was the natural choice for me, and I haven't regretted it one bit. That being said, the K-5 is an AWESOME camera. It's the better camera in terms of image quality, frames per second, and ISO. Not to mention it's super quiet, weather sealed, and light. If I were just getting started, I would go with the K-5. My buddy has one and I am constantly impressed with it. It's just a great camera...

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
Remember that you will be buying into a system. My gut reaction is to tell you to go with the Canon for this reason. It has better third party support and a huge market for second hand lenses and accessories. An alternative would be Nikon, for the same reasons.

As truettray says, the K5 is supposed to be an awesome camera, and outperforms the Canon in several areas. Whether your girlfriend, or anyone viewing the images, will ever notice these things is another matter.

You need to play the long game with DSLR cameras, and for this reason I would recommend Canon or Nikon.

Both are great and she will be happy with either, I'm sure.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I have the original Pentax K-5 and love it. It's the best camera I've owned, the dynamic range of images it produces is huge.

A lot of people I encounter out shooting mention the "Ecosystem" point, or seem surprised and don't even know Pentax makes DSLRs....

I've been using Pentax cameras for a number of years and feel there is more than enough lens selection in their latest DA and FA series for the majority of enthusiast shooters, at good prices. Ultra wides, fish-eyes, macros, flash guns, battery grip options etc... They also have a unique series of small high-quality pancake lenses which are very nice.
In addition they're backwards compatible with all F, A M and K series lenses dating back decades.

The only area where they aren't as prominent is in the high-end telephoto segment, most of which are very expensive used in sports and event coverage - out of reach of most people.

As you can probably tell I'm a big fan of Pentax, but my point is the ecosystem idea needs to be put into perspective... currently Canon's high end branding is helping sell their lower-end equipment.

Disclaimer: I also have a Canon :eek:

Last edited:

960design

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Thank you all for the responses.

I will go with the K-5, the same reason I went for the Mac so many years ago. To me, the ecosystem bears little importance, I want the quality equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.