Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
It was available as a full non-upgrade install as well, for if you didn't already have 10.0 - the one on the left below is the upgrade from 10.0, while the bigger box is the full-price package (the box looks almost identical to 10.0's though). The disc on the right is the full retail 10.1, you'll see it lacks the "Upgrade CD" text below the Apple logo.

Thanks for the info!
Given that I already own a 10.0 Disc, the upgrade will be fine... thank you very much seveej for the offer!!

jpcoelho

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Aveiro, Portugal
Snow Leopard?? Why is that in there? Snow runs on Intel, not PowerPC.. Oh wait.. Rabidz found a way we all can install Snow, Lion, and ML on our PowerPC's.. next he will find a way for 10.9 to be installed.. NOT!!
It just came along with the rest of the collection... It would be a shame not to put it next to its older cousins!

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Rabidz is also working on os 11 from what I hear!lol But heck if anyone else has any dontations message me I need some parts for a powerbook and an Ibook.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Holy balls. Nice! I'd have paid for those 7.6 and 8 CDs.

TS, I am sorry for the OT but I have to ask this question to Frost.

How is the Velociraptor as a boot drive, is it quite? And how about the temperature?

My current boot drive is a 64GB SSD SATA II, it is quite fast for being on a SATA I bus. It always stays below 40C even on extreme hot and humid weather here in the tropics.

How would the velociraptor compare to an SSD?

Again I am sorry for the OT.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
TS, I am sorry for the OT but I have to ask this question to Frost.

How is the Velociraptor as a boot drive, is it quite? And how about the temperature?

My current boot drive is a 64GB SSD SATA II, it is quite fast for being on a SATA I bus. It always stays below 40C even on extreme hot and humid weather here in the tropics.

How would the velociraptor compare to an SSD?

Again I am sorry for the OT.
Sorry for the delay in response, haven't been by the forum in a few days.

Velociraptor is fantastic as a boot drive. As should be expected of a 10,000 rpm drive, no, it is not really quiet when you're doing a lot of reads. You'll hear it clicking away as it works. That said it's not overly or annoyingly loud by any stretch of the imagination. And when it's just spinning and not doing rapid reads, it's every bit as quiet as a 7200 rpm. It's also extremely fast; real world feel is about on par with a low-end SSD, but for vastly more capacity and much lower price versus even budget SSDs.

Far as temperature, the Velociraptor is actually the coolest hard drive I've ever had. The 2.5" drive itself does generate a pretty good amount of heat, but the big black IcePak heatsink WD mounts them in to make the drive 3.5" more than counters that. The Velociraptor actually runs a few degrees cooler than the Constellation, which is itself quite cool. I have never seen the Velociraptor exceed 38°C even under heavy sustained load, it usually runs around 35-36°C, and idling it gets as low as 32°C. That's in the upper bay of a Quad G5 in a room kept around 22-23°C.

Basically I bought it to experiment with after it got stellar reviews last year since I needed more space in the G5 and Apple only gave us two drive bays, so I have to make both count. I've been extremely satisfied with it and would highly recommend it to anyone that wants significantly faster speed than a 7200 rpm HDD but with much higher capacity than SSD. There's also the factor of a 1TB Velociraptor being $230 versus the $1500-2500 that 1TB SSDs are still commanding, and WD classifying it as an enterprise-class drive, thus a full 5 year warranty.

Last edited:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Imagine 2 in RAID0...

It will be pretty faster than an SSD.

What I am concerned is the noise which could be annoying because I am used to a really quite SSD and the heat since I am now located in the Asian tropics.

Right now on the humid 97F, feeling like a hundred on high desert.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.