Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
So I don't actually have an iPad, but I used my mom's enough to know what it's all about. So I ask users of the iPad mini and those who used the iPad 2,

Do you notice that the screen is easier to read on the iPad mini or harder? Like, will I notice the non-retina quality?

Is it still just as easy to type in landscape for papers on Pages with it?

And finally, I will be using it mainly for school but also at home and MAYBE movies on the go. Do you think I would need the 4G model or tethering with my iPhone (via tetherme on cydia) would be fine? Like when at a random place, would you be motivated to connect it to your hotspot or just pull it out but pay the extra $130?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If you are used to the Retina screen you WILL notice. Otherwise maybe not. It's all what your eyeballs are conditioned to.

Typing us easy on both AFAIC but I have small hands so might not be bet judge on that one.

Mini works fine on every app I have but I'm not a heavy gamer where graphics really tax the proc & GPU.

I have an LTE iPad3 & WiFi mini. I didn't see the need to have two LTE iPads but if you only have one I think it's essential to the whole mobile experience. Hunting down a hot spot is a waste of time IMHO. I'm not on the jailbreak scene so can't help with performance in renegade tethering mode.

xandable

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
California
I also went from iPad 2 to mini. The mini's screen looks a little bit better than the iPad 2. But it is not Retina, that will be obvious (I have a Retina iPhone 4S). For me, the cost non-Retina is totally worth the benefits of the smaller size. I wrote a detailed blog post about this (see my sig).

Unless you have small hands, touch-typing in landscape mode might be tough. I find myself holding it with two hands and typing with my thumbs BlackBerry-style, and that works pretty well in both orientations.

I got 3G on both the iPad 1 and iPad 2. I just decided it's not worth the extra device and service cost. So for the the mini I got the WiFi model and tether it to my iPhone 4S when I need to. Works great.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I prefer my movies on Big 9.7 screen.
I prefer my web browzing on big 9.7 screen.
I prefer my game on big 9.7 screen.
I prefer to go places with big 9.7 screen.

There is no such thing as screen being too big. Its more convenient, its cool.

No go for mini!!!

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

No go for mini!!!

Ok but did you actually own a mini ever?

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

No go for mini!!!

I am with you. :apple:

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
So I don't actually have an iPad, but I used my mom's enough to know what it's all about. So I ask users of the iPad mini and those who used the iPad 2,

Do you notice that the screen is easier to read on the iPad mini or harder? Like, will I notice the non-retina quality?

And finally, I will be using it mainly for school but also at home and MAYBE movies on the go. Do you think I would need the 4G model or tethering with my iPhone (via tetherme on cydia) would be fine? Like when at a random place, would you be motivated to connect it to your hotspot or just pull it out but pay the extra $130?

The text is smaller other than that I haven't noticed anything else, significant.Getting adjusted to a smaller screen was no big deal for me. So, I couldn't say if it is easier or harder, just different. Some have noticed the non retina quality and some not. I'm in the "some not" group. I have an iPhone with retina display for comparison. I, personally, had no need for a data plan, but mine is used mostly at home over WiFi. If I used it at school or work or traveled a lot I'd consider a data plan.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Ok but did you actually own a mini ever?

He is in Thailand, the Mini hasn't launched there (or even received the equivalent of FCC approval in Thailand yet) so I would have to presume his expertise on the Mini is based on looking at pictures of it on the net.

If you go through his posting history he does seen to have a serious anti-Mini agenda for some reason.

----------

Yes, the screen is noticeably sharper than the iPad 2.

Typing in either format is easier than the big iPad.

I tether my wifi Mini in exactly the same way as my iPad 2 or 3 to my iPhone 5 using the inbuilt iOS tether program.

I watch films and TV via a couple of UK TV apps (SkyGo and TVCatchup) which both work perfectly, picture quality and sound are excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.