Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
middleseat
macrumors newbie

Griffin Firewave compatibility

Just took delivery of my late-2012 iMac (yay!)... I'd like to hook up my Griffin Firewave to it (so I can use my Logitech 5.1 speakers/sub), but with the lack of firewire ports I'm in a bit of a pickle. The Griffin uses FW 400.

I have 2 options:
1 (cheaper but will it work option) - Will it be possible for me to use an external HD via USB then hook up the Firewire cable to that HD? It's a Buffalo 1 TB with ports for USB, FW 400 and FW 800.

2 - Purchase a thunderbolt to FW adapter. Wait. Scratch that. It looks like Apple only makes a TB to FW800 adapter.

What are my options without having to buy a new sound system? The old one still works great...
middleseat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

You'll have to get a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 then a FireWire 800 to 400 cable/adapter.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:32 PM   #3
middleseat
macrumors newbie

Ahhhh, the old adapter to another adapter trick...
middleseat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:26 AM   #4
bflowers
macrumors 6502

Yeah, you have to do the adapter to adapter option. I'll have to do the same thing, but with a FW800 to FW400 4-pin to connect to my old camcorder.

I have a hard drive like you were asking about. They don't contain a controller that allows transfer between the two busses. They might be out there, but I never found a USB to Firewire adapter even though I looked for one when Apple killed the FW400 ports from the laptops. The new (and very expensive) Thunderbolt hubs will also work for you, but the two adapters will be a fraction of the price.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Intell
macrumors P6

One thing with the FireWave, the controller app is PowerPC only. While the hardware will still work correctly, you won't be able to configure it very much or at all on a 10.7+ machine.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac