Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

data2insight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi,

I want to import the address book from my desktop to my laptop, both Mac Pros running snow leopard. I have a time machine backup from the desktop, but cannot figure out how to import the address book into the laptop address book.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Veronica

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Go to your desktop computer (Mac Pro or iMac or Mac mini),
navigate to Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Application Support / AddressBook
and copy that AddressBook folder onto whatever storage device you use to transport files.

Go to your laptop
and navigate to Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Application Support /
and paste the AddressBook folder inside that Application Support folder.
You might need to confirm to replace the existing AddressBook folder with the AddressBook folder from the desktop.

Btw, a Mac Pro is not a laptop, a MacBook or MacBook Pro or a MacBook Air is a laptop.

http://www.apple.com/mac

Thcia

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Hi,

I want to import the address book from my desktop to my laptop, both Mac Pros running snow leopard. I have a time machine backup from the desktop, but cannot figure out how to import the address book into the laptop address book.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Veronica

Go to "export" under file on your old mac, then "address book archive" and save to a usb stick or other file transferring hardware such as a cd rom, then transfer the media to your new mac, then drag and drop the file to your new address book. I transferred my contact info from OS X leopard to Mountain Lion on my new Mac this way, using a usb stick, and it was pretty easy.

kgrant

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks spinnerlys

Hi,

I needed to copy the address book data from my old G5 to my new iMac.

I tried both methods - using the archive did not work, I ended up with a blank address book.

However many thanks to spinnerlys!
Copying the AddressBook folder from one machine to the other worked:

Go to your [old computer] and navigate to Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Application Support / AddressBook and copy that AddressBook folder onto whatever storage device you use to transport files.

Go to your [new computer] and navigate to Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Application Support / and paste the AddressBook folder inside that Application Support folder. You might need to confirm to replace the existing AddressBook folder with the AddressBook folder from the desktop.

gudrun45

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
Thanks spinnerlys

Hi,

I needed to copy the address book data from my old G5 to my new iMac.

I tried both methods - using the archive did not work, I ended up with a blank address book.

However many thanks to spinnerlys!
Copying the AddressBook folder from one machine to the other worked:
[doublepost=1500583491][/doublepost]Using the archive gives me a blank address book also. So I tried the other way. Or tried to try but neither of my Macs have a folder named "Library" under "User" (me).
Now what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.