Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Question What is wrong with my Ethernet?

So, a couple of days ago my PM G5 seemed to have no network connectivity - I use the Airport Extreme card to connect wirelessly to the internet, and I have the Ethernet cable connected to a router with a couple of other Macs.

Anyway, I checked the console and it was repeating this error every 25 seconds or so:

8/11/12 2:23:21 PM kernel { 41 910440} UniNEnet::restartReceiver

Disconneted Ethernet, internet came back through Airport. Connected the Ethernet cable several hours later, and all was fine. Or so I thought...It's doing it again. Looking at the logs it's been doing it intermittently for the past six hours, with apparently no effect, although I did have internet over Airport stop a few moments ago. It's working again, despite having left the Ethernet cable in.

Also getting this error sometimes:

8/11/12 10:08:39 AM mDNSResponder[16] ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 4

Anyway, upon waking up , one of my external hard disks connected to a PCI USB card had disconnected, though it automatically remounted quickly, and was re-indexed by Spotlight.

I saw this error:

8/11/12 2:57:32 PM kernel PCI sleep prevented by non-power-managed IOService (5)
8/11/12 2:57:32 PM kernel PCI sleep prevented by non-power-managed IOService (5)
8/11/12 2:57:32 PM kernel IOPMSlotsMacRISC4::determineSleepSupport has canSleep true
8/11/12 2:57:33 PM kernel AirPort: Link Down on en1

8/11/12 3:00:42 PM kernel 0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [ErrType IO] [ErrNo 6] [IOType Write] [PBlkNum 1085983616] [LBlkNum 0] [FSLogMsgID 387038567] [FSLogMsgOrder First]

8/11/12 2:57:34 PM mds[51] (/Volumes/Media HD/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/AD2EB5D0-B53E-47E8-AA74-6728CA09F300)(Error) IndexStore in SIStoreDirytySDBChunks:Error storing dirty sdb pages: 22

8/11/12 2:57:34 PM mds[51] (/Volumes/Media HD/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/AD2EB5D0-B53E-47E8-AA74-6728CA09F300)(Error) IndexCI in CIMetaInfoSync:sync err: 22

Anyway, Ethernet connects to my Macbook just fine...

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:37 PM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
A while back I had mDNSResponder flip out on me. The logs were reporting a different error which I Googled. That error was for Bonjour. But you can only turn off Bonjour by disabling mDNSResponder. The log was being hit by this error every 10 seconds.

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but here is the command to kill mDNSResponder.

Open up Terminal and put in this command:
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

This command will reload mDNSResponder:
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

Disabling Bonjour/mDNSResponder worked for me. I let it sit for a week or so and reenabled it. I think you can re-enable it after you quit it though and it should work.

Keep in mind something I found out. If you kill mDNSResponder, it of course kills Bonjour. iTunes will absolutely refuse to run if Bonjour is not running. I had to renable it to get iTunes to open.

Hope that helps.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs