Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi,

I go to work and back every day, I mount m iPhone, plug I into the radio/charger dock, route tomtom (with HD traffic).

I was wondering if I could set me iphone to also video record automatically each journey I do and say delete them after a week.

Just thought if there's a crash or anything as such I have video evidence?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi,

I go to work and back every day, I mount m iPhone, plug I into the radio/charger dock, route tomtom (with HD traffic).

I was wondering if I could set me iphone to also video record automatically each journey I do and say delete them after a week.

Just thought if there's a crash or anything as such I have video evidence?

1, you cannot record in the background - the recorder MUST be in the foreground. (You can't use another app for e.g. navigation)

2, you absolutely must get a wide-angle converter. The default 42-43mm equiv lens of all iPhone models starting with the 4 is just too narrow.

IMHO, given that quality converters are expensive (above $80) and can only go down to about 19mm (fisheye) / 28mm (non-fisheye), I think the best is getting a specialized sports camera. For example, you can get the prev. edition of the Crocolis HD Extreme Cam for $60-$70 used and, in 720p mode, has about an 13mm equiv. lens and comes with car mounters (too). I use it very much and am pretty happy with it. Given that it's inexpensive, you won't even need to remove it while away from your car - and it also supports auto recording cycling. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9LTPUlSKQ for more info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.