AppleTV only showing "Settings" and "Computers" - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
bug
macrumors regular

AppleTV only showing "Settings" and "Computers"

All of a sudden last night the interface on my AppleTV blinked for a second and then all my menu options were gone except for "settings" and "computer".

I reset it, unplugged the cables, changed from wifi to ethernet and back, etc. The network test runs fine.

The only thing that would fix it was doing a full restore - then everything came back but as soon as I turned on iTunes match it all disappeared again.

I'm doing another restore now in the hopes I can get the other options back again, and I'll avoid turning on iTunes match until the next software update but its annoying.

Anyone else having this issue or have any advice? I kind of wish I had just stayed on the last major version of the AppleTV software - I don't even like the new interface and it used to always work solidly. If I could roll back to a previous version I would happily do so.
1.67 gHz 17" pb 2 gigs
bug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:50 PM   #2
mlibrescu
macrumors newbie

Common Problem

This has happened to me twice since I purchased the Apple TV 3 (never happened with ATV2). The first time, I had to do a reset. The second time is right now and I'm trying that again. I tried restarting, physically implugging the device from the wall, rebooting my modem and router, nothing works.

You can Google the problem to see that it is fairly common.
mlibrescu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
Sedulous
macrumors 65816

This has occurred with my ATV2. Usually it is a crash caused by Netflix in my experience. Usually it recovers on its own.
Sedulous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
This just happened to me today. I restarted it and it fixed itself. Annoying though, especially since I plan on giving this to my dad next time I see him. He'd have no idea how to fix it.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:57 AM   #5
agrumke
macrumors newbie

similar to common problem.

This also happened to me. I moved to college and purchased an Airport Express. The router works and is set up (all devices connect to the internet). I turn on the Apple TV and it has only the Computers and settings. Even after connecting via ethernet and/or wifi i have the same problem. The problem persists after resets and a restore (while being plugged into iTunes). I cannot sign into the itunes store bc it says it is unavailable...which is the same reason I can't do a network test. The network works on all my other devices so i cannot understand what would be the problem. My router did have to be set to bridge mode because of DCHP and NAT? Anyways any help would be appreciated as this is frustrating.
agrumke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Aragornii
macrumors regular

I think what that means is when you see it your ATV has lost it's internet connection (if you check your setting you probably have a self-assigned IP). Rebooting your ATV or you router will probably fixit, or plugging in an ethernet cable.
Aragornii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Spacecowboy1
macrumors member

I've seen this on a jailbroken aTV2
Spacecowboy1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:21 PM   #8
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecowboy1 View Post
I've seen this on a jailbroken aTV2
Jailbroken has nothing to do with it, the aTV pulls it's menus from the web. It's how hulu showed up one morning without doing a software upgrade. if it can't access the web, it can't get it's menus.
waw74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:36 PM   #9
boomhower
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragornii View Post
I think what that means is when you see it your ATV has lost it's internet connection (if you check your setting you probably have a self-assigned IP). Rebooting your ATV or you router will probably fixit, or plugging in an ethernet cable.
That was my issue as well. Got it all the time when I used the ethernet port. Once I just said screw it and went wireless it's worked fine.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:13 AM   #10
Spacecowboy1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
Jailbroken has nothing to do with it, the aTV pulls it's menus from the web. It's how hulu showed up one morning without doing a software upgrade. if it can't access the web, it can't get it's menus.
i wasn't saying the jailbreak had anything to do with it. I was just trying to help with the forum by adding what i've seen.

ps...i also dont have hulu(uk)
Spacecowboy1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:23 AM   #11
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

My AirPlay crashes it once a week or so. And it goes out but when the screen comes back on my media is still playing but it's as if nothing is connected because it doesn't even have "now playing", it just says turn home sharing on even though it is outputting my music.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:33 AM   #12
Andrew*Debbie
macrumors member

Ours does exactly that when it doesn't have a full internet connection.

We use T-Mobile 3G for our home internet. After we've used up our month bandwith, T-Mobile restricts our connection to "Browse and e-mail" When that happens the ATV 2 only shows settings and computer.
Andrew*Debbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:29 AM   #13
jtrenthacker
macrumors member

I just diconnect the power cord for a few seconds and plug it back in. Fixed.
jtrenthacker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:27 AM   #14
darcyjames
macrumors Demi-God

WTF, I always pay premium to buy 3d bluray combo packs with iTunes Digital Copy and now its seems UV is gaining traction! How? It is junk, I watched crappy downloads on my Pentium laptop decades ago and now I want, no, scratch that, NEED my 1080p ATV convenience.

I liked watching it initially with the DTS Master HD audio (that destroys regular dolby digital) but now I'm being forced to choose...why??

Ahh, that feels better, now I'm going to buy Amazing Spiderman in 1080p through iTunes; no DTS Master HD but $10 cheaper than the combo packs I became accustomed to buying. Scr*w you big six and your UV too!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater